Thursday, October 11th, 2012
On Wednesday, October 3, 2012, a new version of the Cisco AnyConnect client was deployed. You will get this update automatically when you connect to http://vpn.bu.edu.
Unfortunately, with the update, the name changed from “Cisco AnyConnect” to “Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.” This name change will cause any shortcuts that you created to stop working. You should delete any shortcuts in use and start fresh by connecting to http://vpn.bu.edu. We apologize because a communication should have come out before the change was made and we regret disruption to connectivity that the lack of notice caused.
This new version of the Cisco AnyConnect client was deployed in order to:
- Resolve several major bugs and conflicts with various desktop operating systems
- Provide reliable support for both Windows and Macintosh
- Provide new functions and features, including support for Android clients
- Patch identified critical security vulnerabilities
- Keep clients in a vendor-supported version
- Address an expired vendor signed certificate with the older client installation bundle
We are unaware of any other issues related to this upgrade. However, additional information on this release is provided by Cisco. Please feel free to contact the IT Help Center (617-353-4357 or email@example.com) or the BUMC Desktop Support teams (617-638-5914) if you have any problems or questions.