NOTE: Hiring a graduated or withdrawn student as a staff or faculty member? Please request that an SE Level Termination be done for their student file.
Student Payroll training:
Training is for Payroll Coordinators and supervisors who are responsible for student hires. Training takes around two hours. Click here to sign up for a training session.
Regular Student Employment (Non-Work-Study) Overview
On-campus supervisors may hire legally eligible, degree-seeking students to work during their time at Boston University. These student employees are paid entirely by the hiring department.
Student Job Service
The Student Job Service works as an advertising platform and is open to any student at the University who meets eligibility criteria. Supervisors may use our free Student Job Service to list their available positions. Its two main categories are Part-Time jobs and the Quick Job service. Post your position and view our Job Posting Guide for help and tips.
Part-time long-term positions and full-time summer jobs are listed with the Job Service. Most Job Service listings are submitted by off-campus employers and private individuals, but on-campus supervisors are invited to post their departmental positions under the On-Campus category as well.
Only BU students have access to the Part-time Job listings. Boston University students can view Part-time Listings through the Student Link.
The Quick Job Service
The Quick Job Service provides opportunities for students to earn quick money by listing one-time or short-term jobs lasting from an hour to a month. Quick Jobs vary from babysitting and party help to computer programming and home services, and include unique jobs such as market research and focus groups.
Only Boston University students who register with the Quick Job Service through our website may be referred to Quick Jobs. Quick Jobs can be viewed through the Student Link.
Federal Work-Study Overview
Federal Work-Study is a federally-funded financial aid program administered by Boston University. It is designed to provide access to employment, helping students meet educational expenses. Participants also gain valuable work experience while helping the University and nonprofit organizations meet their staffing needs. The program is not intended to provide students with opportunities to study while at work.
Boston University departments that hire Work-Study students incur a charge of 30% of those students’ earnings. The Federal Work-Study Program funds the remaining 70%.
Work-Study is awarded to eligible students as part of their financial aid packages. Work-Study awards are distributed for each program (academic year and summer) and are non transferable.
Students apply for academic year Work-Study by indicating their interest in working on the FAFSA form. BU Financial Assistance selects as many participants as funding allows, based on students’ financial need. Students apply for summer Work-Study by applying here, after ensuring that their financial aid documents for the upcoming academic year are submitted and confirmed.
All undergraduate Work-Study students are paid hourly, while graduate students may be paid either hourly or weekly-salaried, depending on the job. A student’s gross earnings are automatically subtracted from their Work-Study Award Amount, until either the Maximum Earnings Level is reached, or the program ends.
Check our Dates and Deadlines for system programmed academic year and summer program dates using the current Fiscal Year outline, and our Work-Study Dates and Deadlines for the current Work-Study cycle.
Adjustment or Cancellation
If a student’s eligibility changes at any time during the academic year or summer program, BU Financial Assistance may need to adjust or cancel their Work-Study award. Circumstances which may require this include, but are not limited to, withdrawal from the University, failure to maintain a satisfactory grade point average, or the addition of financial assistance from outside sources.
As long as a student continues to receive a Work-Study award and their supervisor approves their continued employment, they will be automatically rehired into their job from Fall to Spring of the same academic year program, and from Spring to the following Fall for the next academic year program.
If they decide not to return to their current job, they should promptly notify their supervisor, then begin their job search anew using the guidance under Finding a Work-Study Job.
Remember: Students must reapply for Work-Study each year when they apply for federal financial assistance, by completing the FAFSA by the established deadline. More information is available for undergraduate students from Financial Assistance. Graduate students should consult the financial aid coordinator at their school or college.