Policies and Procedures
General Procedures and Policies
General Procedures and Information
- Adding Departmental Form I-9 End Users
- Check/Direct Deposit Reversals
- Salary Advances
- Student Worker Accident Procedure
- Student Employee Breaks and Unpaid Time
- Summer FICA Policy
- Massachusetts Pregnant Workers Fairness Act Guidance
- Reasonable Accommodations Policy
- Student Earned Sick Time Eligibility
- Student Volunteer Policy
- Student Work Hours Policy
Available General Procedure Videos:
Business Link Student Employment
The following are procedures on the functions available online to Payroll Coordinators regarding a student’s hire record.
These procedures go over General Functions to view a student employee’s file and jobs in the selected semester.
- Student Employees by Unit/Dep or Mail Code
- Student Employee Information Screen
- Job Information and Earnings History
Available General Functions Videos:
Hiring Process Functions
NEW: Effective Tuesday, February 4, 2020, the weekly deadline for payroll coordinators to enter the final approval of all hires will be 10 A.M. on Tuesday mornings.
Ensure the student to be hired meets basic program criteria as a student before hiring as a student employee. Otherwise, hire through SAP as a temporary employee.
The hiring process for a student should be as follows:
- Complete the Section 2 of the Form I-9 if the student has never worked at Boston University before using the Form I9 Compliance, Section 2 function. If they have worked at Boston University as a student employee, you may skip this step.
- Complete either a New Hire or a Rehire for the student’s job using the New Hire/Rehire function.
- Approve the submitted hire record for the student using the Approve/Review/Delete function.
Students are able to work without a Social Security Number. More information on Hiring Students Without Social Security Numbers.
Procedures in order:
- University Form I-9 Procedures
- New Hire/Rehire Function Procedures
- Approve/Review/Delete Function Procedures
Available Hiring Process Functions Videos:
Job Maintenance Functions
These procedures go over commonly used Job Maintenance Functions for student employees.
- Add/Change Supervisor for Departmental Jobs Function
- Add/Change Supervisor for Work-Study Jobs Function
- Distribution Changes (Budget Line) Function
- Estimated Hours Per Week Change Function
- Pay Rate Change Function
- Job Terminations Function
- This will only terminate positions from a student’s file. If looking to terminate a graduated or prior student employee from the student employee level, please request a SE Level Termination.
Available Job Maintenance Functions Videos:
Student Payroll Functions - Time Entry and Approval
NEW: Effective Tuesday, February 4, 2020, the weekly deadline for payroll coordinators to enter the final mail code approval will be 10 A.M. on Tuesday mornings.
The typical Student Timesheet approval process should be as follows:
- Student submits timesheet by supervisor deadline; must be by Sunday 11:59PM.
- Supervisor reviews and approves student timesheet using the Supervisor Approval of Student(s) Time Entry function.
- Payroll Coordinator ensures all timesheets with hours have a supervisor sign off date; if not, approves to ensure student is paid on time using the PC Approval/Change of Student Time Entry function.
- Payroll Coordinator approves the full Mail Code for pay by Tuesday using the Mail Code Approval to Pay function.
In pay weeks of early payroll deadlines, this process should still be followed but using the early payroll deadline dates. Typical early payroll deadlines are due to federal, state, or university holidays that necessitate university and office closure.
Procedures in order:
- Supervisor Approval of Student(s) Time Entry Procedures
- PC Approval/Change of Student Time Entry Procedures
- Mail Code Approve to Pay Procedures
Available Payroll Functions Videos:
Work-Study Job Functions
- Award Balance by Mail Code function – view all updated Work-Study award balances within your Mail Code. Updated every Thursday to include the following Friday payment.
Available Work-Study Job Functions Videos:
No Longer in Use
- Handling Checks
- Check Destination Change Function – no longer required to ensure student check pick up. Have students refer to our Getting Paid section for more information on receiving their payments.