National Student Employment Week
The National Student Employment Association has declared the week of April 9 – 15 2023 to be set aside to recognize the value of student employees and student employment professionals. Watch the following video for a quick summary behind this week and some ideas on what you can do to celebrate your student employees!
The purpose of this week is threefold:
- To enhance awareness of student employment and its important role in the higher education experience.
- To recognize students who perform outstanding work while attending college.
- To thank YOU, the employer, who hires students for part-time positions and makes the student employment program such a success.
All staff members want to know that their contributions are important to the success of the department. Here are suggestions for ways to acknowledge your student staff members during National Student Employment Week in April and throughout the year. Be sure to tailor these ideas to fit with the culture of your department!
- Send thank you notes via email or snail mail, or send a video greeting
- Here are some thank you notes you can download and send (courtesy of Sarah Yoon, QST ’21)!
- Share encouraging and/or informational Ted Talks and facilitate conversations around the content
- Host a Zoom or Teams check in for the group and/or for each student individually
- Invite an office alum to speak with student employees about the work they do and how their student employment experience impacted their career
- Take the time to write letters of recommendation for students who have requested them
- Encourage students to take advantage of employment-related workshops and webinars around campus
- Use social media: Post images of your students at work and laud their excellence! Use #busew2023 to tag your posts. Don’t have a departmental account? Contact SEO with your celebratory shout out to recognize your student staff on our Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook pages, particularly during Student Employment Week. Attach a photo of your students in action—or your Student Employment week celebration—to go with your message!
The 2022 ceremony was held in person on Monday, April 11th, 2022, from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. est. Thank you to everyone who attended and congratulations to all those who were recognized!
Thanks to the many students and supervisors who took the time to write such incredible nomination letters! Please find the full program of all nominated student employees and supervisors here.
Enjoy watching our 2022 Student Employee and Supervisor of the Year presentation!