Required Paperwork

If this is your first time working at Boston University, you must complete pre-hire paperwork.

Form I-9

The Form I-9 confirms a student’s eligibility to legally work on-campus and is required for all student employees prior to or on the first day of your employment. It is vital that this form be filled out accurately and in a timely manner in order to pay students. This form is required by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a division of the Department of Homeland Security. Supervisors¬†may not allow a student to work beyond 3 days if the student has not completed a Form I-9.

The Form I-9 consists of Section 1 and Section 2.

Section 1 is completed by the student through the Student Link Work tab by clicking Form I-9 Compliance – Section 1. This should take less than five minutes to complete.

Section 2 is completed by an authorized BU representative using the student’s original, unexpired identification documents. Federal Regulations prohibit the use of any reproductions, including scans and copies, of the original documents. Please view the following document options based on your student status, as well as a short video on completing the I-9.

Social Security Number

Students are able to start working without a valid Social Security number in the Student Payroll system.

However, for tax purposes, all student employees are required to have a valid Social Security number on file by the end of the calendar year. Students are able to report this to Student Payroll when filling out Section 1 of the Form I-9, during the hire process when their supervisor is inputting their hire record, or directly to Student Employment. Once Student Payroll has a student’s Social Security number, their payroll file is updated for the duration of their time at Boston University.

Not having a Social Security number on file by the end of the calendar year can affect a student’s taxes and it is possible for students to get a tax penalty.

Supervisors and staff should refer to our information regarding students without Social Security numbers.

Confidentiality and Privacy Agreements

Depending on the accessible information a student employee has during their employment with a department, they will be required to sign a Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Non-Disclosure agreement and a Student Employment Confidentiality agreement. These forms will be provided and stored locally by the student’s direct supervisor.