Work Authorization for Student Employment

International students may work on campus while attending Boston University if granted permission by the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO). Work permission is usually granted to students with F-1 or J-1 immigration status. In rare instances, students in other visa statuses may be granted work permission. Incoming students must complete the mandatory check in with ISSO.

You may work through the date authorized by the ISSO (also referred to as Work Expiration Date) or until you graduate or withdraw from Boston University, whichever comes first. If your work authorization expires, you may not work until you are granted an extension by the ISSO.

International students with pending applications for permanent residence may work on campus if they have an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

There are a few on-campus work situations in which you need prior ISSO authorization before you can begin work:


Once you have been authorized to work, you must also meet student employment eligibility criteria during the time period you wish to work.

Work authorization through the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) is required for international students to work off campus.

Graduate and undergraduate students in their final semester who are registered only part time may be allowed to work, if granted permission by the ISSO.