Work-Study Program Timeline
Students are awarded Federal Work-Study for the academic year (fall and/or spring) based on their financial eligibility established from the information reported on their FAFSA for that year. Students may also apply for Summer Federal Work-Study which is awarded and funded separately. To renew Work-Study eligibility, you must file a FAFSA for each award year of your academic career. Once awarded, it is the student’s responsibility to search the SEO Job Board for available positions and apply. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for jobs as early in the semester as possible. Fewer jobs are available later in the semester because listings are pulled from the Job Board as soon as positions are filled.
Academic Year Program
Fall 2023 - Spring 2024
- Job board will be accessible between July to March
- For most students the fall and spring semester is their academic year. But, for students starting or restarting in January (College of General Studies, students admitted in January, returning from study abroad, or leave of absence, etc.) their academic year does not include the fall.
- On-campus supervisors post Work-Study job listings via the Business Link. Students access Work-Study position listings on the MyBU Student Portal.
- Students whose academic year starts in the fall semester may start working the first day of classes of the fall semester. Students whose academic year starts in the spring semester may start working the first day of classes of the spring semester.
- Work-Study awards for students who do not begin working within a reasonable time (typically mid-semester) are subject to being canceled. Reinstatement is not guaranteed. Students with academic year Work-Study must stop working by the last day of their enrollment at Boston University or the last day of the spring semester classes, whichever occurs first.
- Job board will be accessible between April to June
- Summer Federal Work-Study applications become available in early March. The form can be found here.
- On campus supervisors post Summer Work-Study job listings via the Business Link.
- Summer Work-Study awards for students who do not begin working within a reasonable time (typically four weeks from the start of the session) are subject to being canceled. Reinstatement is not guaranteed. Students with Summer Work-Study must stop working by the last day of the summer session.