We have a vibrant community of over 3,700 living alumni who live and work in every state in the US, Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia, and in 49 countries. We connect our diverse community to one another in a variety of ways, and we invite you to be in contact with us with new ideas.
Giving to the School of Theology can take many forms, such as donating time, talents, and treasures. It is easier than ever to make your contribution today.
Ways to Give
Visit the Boston University Alumni Web for more details and a secure online giving form. You can write the fund you wish to donate to in the ‘Other’ field.
To make a gift by phone, please call 617-353-2349.
All checks should be made payable to “Boston University.” Please remember to designate the particular fund towards which your gift will go. Some of our funds are listed below. Our three top funds are the STH Annual Fund, the Harrell F. Beck Chair in Hebrew Scripture and the Earl and Millie Beane Housing Fund.
Please send your gifts to:
Boston University School of TheologyDevelopment and Alumni Relations Office
745 Commonwealth Avenue, Suite 109
Boston, MA 02215
Matching gifts are a corporation’s way of multiplying the benefits of their employees’ charitable gifts. If you or your spouse work for a company that offers a matching gift program, your gift to Boston University could be doubled or even tripled. For more information, and to find out if your company or your spouse’s company has a matching gift program, please click here.
By including the School of Theology in your estate plans, alumni/ae and friends can make gifts far larger than they ever expected. Donors using one of the five main types of life income or estate gifts–Bequest Intention, Charitable Gift Annuity, Charitable Remainder Trust, Charitable Lead Trust, and Retirement Plan Assets—can support the School of Theology. These types of charitable gifts can:
- Provide the donor with tax and income benefits
- Endow a gift to honor and pay tribute to the memory of a family member, loved one, or a mentor in the donor’s personal or professional life
- Provide endowment support to the School of Theology. Gifts that endow scholarships, professorships, or other programs provide financial support in perpetuity and strengthen the School of Theology’s financial status.
For more information, visit Boston University’s Office of Planned Giving.
Endowed and other Special Funds
School of Theology Fund
Alumnum contributions to the School of Theology Fund are a vital part of realizing the goals of the School to train students for ministry in the contemporary world within an excellent academic setting. Your current use gift to the Annual Fund supports:
1. Contextual Opportunities, which provide support to students engaged in contextual projects to learn from people in other cultures or to immerse themselves in their diverse ministries through Springboard Fellowships. Students identify these opportunities as mind-expanding and life-changing.
2. Spiritual life, supporting our vital program of Saturday reading retreats, meditation groups, and other special activities that nourish the spiritual vibrancy of the BUSTH community and each person within it. Your contributions have made it possible for us to continue building this important part of our common life.
3. Outreach to alums, which have included the Livestreaming of 27 worship services, 14 lectures, and seminars, ten webinars, four live reporting events from Ferguson and Baltimore, oral history interviews, and our annual issue of focus on timely topics. You have told us that you want more from the School, even if you live a thousand miles away. With your help, we will continue to enhance the quality of our existing resources and create new opportunities for you to connect more fully with the School and with each other.
Annual Fund Leadership Giving Societies
The School of Theology and Boston University have Annual Fund Leadership Giving Societies to honor the distinguished group of contributors who, year after year, help the University to prepare young people for ministry. Membership in the Giving Societies recognizes donations made without restriction to the STH Fund within a single fiscal year. Each Society offers a variety of benefits, including recognition in Focus and exclusive invitations to events. As a member of a Society, you will be part of a vital support system for the School of Theology’s pursuit of excellence. Through your vision and generosity, you will be an inspiration to others. We hope you will consider joining us.
Join BU’s Annual Fund Leadership Giving Society and take your place among BU’s philanthropic leaders by making an Annual Fund gift at one of the following levels:
President’s Circle: $25,000 or more
President’s Associates: $10,000
Dean’s Circle: $5,000
*Young alums are eligible for membership in the Annual Fund Leadership Giving Society at special rates: Young alums from the Class of 2018 are eligible with a $100 gift, from 2013-2017 with a $250 gift, and from 2008-2012 with a $500 gift.
Dean’s Advisory Board
The Dean’s Advisory Board is a small group of loyal alumni/ae from around the globe who come together bi-annually to assist the Dean with planning and fundraising initiatives of the School of Theology. Dean’s Advisory Board members are some of our greatest advisors and friends, and we thank them for their ongoing support of the School of Theology.
Reverend Dr. Constance S. Bickford (STH ’97)
Dr. Carole R. Bohn (SED ’76, SED ’81)
Reverend Dr. Yoo-Yun Cho-Chang (STH ’94, STH ’00, GRS ’13)
Reverend Nizzi S. Digan (STH ’02)
Bishop LaTrelle Easterling (STH ’04)
Reverend Odette Lockwood-Stewart (STH ’78)
Reverend Dr. William Bobby McClain (STH ’62, STH ’77)
Reverend Cedric Jones, Jr. (STH ’92)
Dr. Jerome Del Pino (STH ’71, GRS ’80)
Reverend Alyssa Lodewick (STH, SSW ’13)
Reverend Nikita Mccalister (STH ’05)
Dr. Patrick Reyes (STH ’11)
Dr. Xochitl Alvizo (STH ’07, STH ’15)
Rebecca T. Smith (STH ’80)
Bishop Alan Gates