Your success is our top priority. Our goal is to make certain that you are prepared to meet the challenges that confront public health practitioners of today while anticipating challenges that will emerge in the future. As a top ranked school of public health, joining our community offers you access to cutting edge advancements in research, scholarship, and public health practice; a top-tier education with an on-the-ground mission.
In addition to our innovative approach to real-world education, we are committed to improving the student experience. Our vibrant community is what sets us apart and we are proud of our inclusive and supportive learning environment. We work hard to ensure that your time, effort and resources are well spent from graduate student life and leadership opportunities to career services and job placement activities.
Some of the most valuable aspects of our program include:
Boston: Location, location, location!
- Boston has a strong and historic commitment to public health practice. Boston is home to the nation’s first public health department and Massachusetts was the first to implement universal healthcare.
- With a large variety of nonprofits, healthcare facilities, and research institutions, Boston offers networking, volunteer, internship, and practicum opportunities.
- Boston receives the most funding annually from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), outpacing both New York City and DC.
Boston University: Top tier research University
- Boston is a city alive with student-fueled energy, creativity, passion, and inquiry. At its core is Boston University. With 17 schools and colleges and more than 33,000 full- and part-time students, BU is the largest university in Boston. Students benefit from all that a large institution has to offer but at the same time enjoy a small school feel as members of the School of Public Health community.
- With that size comes the advantage of tremendous diversity and choice. At BU, you will be part of a community with members from all over the world drawn together by the vast educational offerings of a large research university with an urban setting, rich history, and cultural environment.
- As an SPH student, you will have access to University-wide resources and facilities, including all libraries, athletic facilities, events and activities, and student services offerings.
- BU faculty are experts in their fields, generating groundbreaking research and scholarship across schools and departments. They bring their understanding of the newest research trends and findings to the classroom, and making BU one of the nation’s premier institutions of graduate education.
Learn more about research at SPH.
SPH: A Revolutionary Approach to the Study and Practice of Public Health
- Faculty have an “open door” policy that encourages more meaningful relationships as students are seen as burgeoning colleagues.
- We are supportive, not competitive. The SPH community is focused on your success.
- The School is proud of its diverse student body that enriches the community and enables rich discussion.
- Personalized advising focuses on your career and professional development as you progress through the program.
- You will have the ability to join social and professional groups on- and off-campus, expanding your networks through formal and informal channels.
Challenging, engaging, and supportive learning environment
- SPH offers courses taught by senior faculty who are experienced public health practitioners and researchers. From large, community-based epidemiologic studies to bench science, SPH faculty conduct cutting-edge research and engage in scholarship that informs the curriculum and improves the overall practice of public health. From them you will gain firsthand insight into emerging research and the most current thinking within public health practice.
- Instructors are dedicated to student-centered learning that focuses on what you need to know and be able to do as a public health practitioner.
- Our courses promote teamwork with peers in order to create a collaborative learning environment for students.
- As a School, we are dedicated to practice-based education which enhances student learning and skill development.
- We are committed to your learning outside of the classroom as well with guest lectures, film screenings, discussion groups, and artistic events, open to the entire community.
Opportunities Abound: Research, practice, and community service
- With hundreds of classes offered every year and faculty working on countless research projects, there are many opportunities to become a teaching assistant or research assistant.
- As a large university, BU continually seeks applicants for full-time and part-time employment opportunities (bu.edu/hr).
- Get involved with the Greater Boston community through organized volunteer opportunities, spotlight series activities, and student organizations.
SPH Career Services: Your competitive edge
- Career Services offers a comprehensive suite of services to help you land a meaningful position now and for a lifetime.
- Employer and alumni networking events are offered regularly through the academic year to help you map to your dream career.
- SPH has established relationships with employers across a variety of settings that can help you identify a meaningful practicum and get you started in a rewarding career.