Program Management MPH Functional Certificate
Selecting the Program Management Functional Certificate within the Master of Public Health (MPH) degree prepares you to manage organizations across the public health field. This 16-credit certificate offers the project management training to lead public health programs, prioritize resources, manage costs and risks, develop plans, motivate staff, and direct efforts to improve community health and program performance.
Develop the skills to begin or advance your career as a public health program manager. Conceptual and training-based courses grow your project management skills for a variety of settings including nonprofits, governmental organization, and healthcare institutions.
View the BU Bulletin for Course Requirements
What You Will Learn
As part of the Program Management certificate program, MPH students will be able to:
- Supervise and support program staff as a public health program manager to ensure activities are aligned with overarching goals and on track to meet specific objectives.
- Demonstrate skills in budget management including, projecting costs, providing justifications, managing and containing costs, and implementing transparent financial management systems.
- Create monitoring plans to assess leadership and employee accountability, and review plans for management of projects, stakeholders, and suppliers.
- Analyze public health program outcomes to identify the needed changes and ensure that monitoring systems are in place to enable program evaluation.
- Propose solutions to a variety of program challenges related to human resources, information technology, operating procedures, monitoring and evaluation, and quality improvement.
Sample Course Titles
- Financial Management for Health Programs
- Managing Public Health Programs and Projects
- Consultation Techniques
- Resource Mobilization
Learn more about the MPH program and Program Management certificate curriculum.
Sample Program Management Practicums
- Professionalizing the Direct Support Professionals in Rhode Island to increase Quality and Retention in the Intellectual Developmental Community, Community Provider Network of Rhode Island (Warwick, RI)
- Massachusetts Asthma Action Partnership Intern, Health Resources in Action (Boston, MA)
- Project Coordinator, ElevateX (India)
Integrative Learning Experience (ILE)
This experiential learning opportunity provides project management training in the public health field. The Program Management ILE takes students through a three-step simulation in which you develop multiple versions of a program brief and professional reflection as parts of a final Program Management portfolio.
Certificate Director: Lora Sabin
Career Services at BUSPH
Learn more about BU’s MPH program
Embedded within the Master of Public Health program, the Program Management Functional Certificate offers students the career-advancing skills to work in public health management roles. For more information about the MPH degree requirements and admission, request information to learn more.