Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
Acquire the skills to conduct and communicate public health research, investigate the causes and prevention of disease and injury, and assess patterns of health in populations around the globe. This certificate is STEM approved. Please visit the ISSO website for details.
For admission eligibility, degree requirements, deadlines, and application information, contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What You Will Learn
Upon graduation, students will be able to:
- Calculate and apply appropriate epidemiologic and statistical measures to draw valid inferences and summaries from public health data.
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of epidemiologic and statistical reports from public health studies.
- Analyze key sources of public health data, reflecting comprehension of the basic ethical and legal principles pertaining to the collection, maintenance, analysis, and dissemination of epidemiologic and public health information.
- Synthesize the results of epidemiologic and statistical analyses to craft public health messages in written and oral presentations for both public health professionals and external audiences.
- Demonstrate the application of epidemiology and biostatistics for informing etiologic research, planning and evaluation of interventions, public health surveillance or health policy.
Sample Course Titles
- Introduction to Statistical Computing
- Applied Statistics in Clinical Trials I
- Statistical Methods for Epidemiology
- Infectious Disease Epidemiology
- Reproductive Epidemiology
- Social Epidemiology
- A systematic review of potential barriers and facilitators to HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis uptake and adherence among people who inject drugs
- Trends and risk factors for assault-related shootings and stabbings from the Weapons Related Injury Surveillance System
- Development of pharmacy-based initiatives to address barriers to naloxone safety awareness and access in southern New England
- Evaluation of a mood-tracking app to reduce incidence of suicide in the US Coast Guard
- Identification of best practices for accelerometer data error variance reduction in a study of childhood obesity
- Validation of a robust risk prediction model for patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy
- Follow-up study of the chronic kidney disease epidemic in rural Nicaragua
Integrative Learning Experience
Students in the Epidemiology and Biostatistics certificate will create and present a scientific poster based on either a data analysis or critical review of public health research articles.