Visa Information

Documents you need to travel in Europe

  • All student visas should be taken care of with the BUSA office / Spanish consulate in Boston prior to departure for Madrid. The BU Madrid office is not able to assist students with any visa issues that arise while in Spain.
  • Students who do not have American or EU passports and want to travel outside the Schengen zone must check the entry requirements of their destination country.
  • If a student has arrived in Spain without a valid visa:
    • After 90 days, it is illegal for U.S. citizens to stay in Spain. U.S. citizens must leave the Schengen area from any country, including Spain.