Sally Starr has been patrolling the sidelines as head coach of BU field hockey for 35 years, transforming it from a fledgling varsity sport into a national powerhouse. It hasn’t always been easy. For 12 years after losing Nickerson Field in 2001, the team led a nomadic existence. But when New Balance Field was completed in 2013, the Terriers got a home of their own.
What’s Up BU?
- Brunch at the Deanery9:45am
- Sunday Interdenominational Service at Marsh Chapel11:00am
- Thurman Choir Rehearsal12:30pm
- BU Academy Admission Open House1:00pm
- Hip hop dance residency with Jenn Weber - classes at various timesAll Day
- Songs On The Verge - Theresa Wong and Annie Lewandowski (aka Powerdove)12:00pm
- Special Presentation by Ned Sublette, co-author of "The American Slave Coast: A History of the Slave-Breeding Industry"2:00pm
- Asian Studies Fall Reception4:00pm
Hack Cancer, a nonprofit run by a small team of hackers, focuses on developing innovative new technologies to solve diagnostic issues related to cancer care. Hack Cancer 2015 is a two-day event (Friday at 1 p.m. to Saturday at 7 p.m.) involving the development of prototypes, software, and ideas by participants. It is aimed at the research community—including students, clinicians, and public health practitioners from academia and industry—to engage a multidisciplinary audience to develop creative health care solutions. Prizes, (1st place team, $1,000; 2nd place, $1,000; 3rd place, $500) will be awarded. Free, registration required.
Icons Among Us
An icon is something whose meaning outstrips its function. It’s hard to say exactly when objects rise to the status of icon, but we know them when we see them, and around BU, there are many to see: the BU Bridge, the Citgo sign, the Castle, and the BU Beach.
King sculpture a graceful witness to BU life
BU’s mammoth musical jewel in the GSU features early 1900s computer
1950s BU sports phenom Harry Agganis looms large