Getting Married?

If you get married, please consider the following:

Things to Consider

What You Need to Do

You may cancel your coverage or enroll your new spouse (and any dependents) in the following plans within 30 calendar days of your marriage:

Health and Dental Plans

Personal & Family Accident Insurance

Flexible Spending Accounts

Supplemental Life Insurance

Request the change through Employee Self Service at BUworks Central by selecting the option “Manage my Benefits – Life or Career Events” within 30 days following the date of your marriage to complete your request.
You will be required to provide a copy of your marriage certificate and your spouse’s birth certificate.

Update Beneficiary Designations for:

Life Insurance

Accident Insurance

  • Log in to BUworks.
  • Select the Employee Self Service tab.
  • In the Benefits Section, select BU Benefits Center
  • Select Update my Life/Accident Insurance Beneficiary
BU Retirement Plan

Supplemental Retirement & Savings Plan

Complete a Beneficiary Change Form for

Make a change to:

  • Name
Contact Human Resources.
Requires supporting documentation
  • Address
  • Emergency contact
  • Employee withholding (W-4)
Done through BUworks

Apply for:

Tuition Remission Benefit for your Spouse

Once you have satisfied the service requirement, your spouse will be granted 50% Tuition Remission each semester for courses taken at Boston University, subject to eligibility requirements.