Events that Affect Participation

It is important that you understand how your Tuition Exchange Program benefits are affected when you experience a life event [e.g., taking a leave of absence (paid or unpaid), an extended military leave, or a medical leave of absence].

Your Tuition Remission Program benefits are also affected if you retire or become disabled.

Paid Leaves of Absence and Sabbaticals

Tuition Exchange benefits continue while you are on an approved leave of absence with pay. Tuition Exchange benefits also continue if you are a faculty member on an approved sabbatical with pay. The period of time you are on a leave of absence or sabbatical counts toward any service requirements specified in the program.

Unpaid Leaves of Absence

With prior approval, Tuition Exchange benefits may be continued during an approved unpaid leave of absence that is taken for one of the following reasons:

  1. Research purposes
  2. Instruction
  3. Government or other service deemed by the University to be in the public interest
  4. Other activities that may be approved by the University

If you take an approved leave of absence without pay for any reason other than those listed above, Tuition Exchange benefits will terminate for the duration of your leave on the earlier of:

  1. The beginning of a semester following or coincident with the first day of your leave; or
  2. At the end of any semester in which you begin your leave.

While you are on an approved leave of absence without pay, you can accrue service (up to 24 months) toward meeting the program’s service requirement.

Termination of Employment

If your employment ends before the first day of class, your dependents will be required to pay full tuition for the courses taken that semester. If your employment ends before the last day of classes, your dependents’ benefits will continue until the end of the semester.

If you retire from the University at age 55 or later and have completed 10 or more years of continuous service with the University after age 45, your eligible unmarried dependent children may continue to receive Tuition Exchange benefits in an undergraduate degree program pursuant to the terms specified herein.

If you die while employed at the University or are receiving disability benefits from the University’s Long-Term Disability Plan, your eligible unmarried dependent children may continue to receive Tuition Exchange benefits through the semester subject to the program’s limits, as long as they remain eligible. In subsequent semesters, your years of continuous service, up to the time when you became disabled or died, will be used to determine the number of additional semesters (up to a maximum of 8 semesters/12 trimesters) for which your child is eligible in accordance with the following table:

Employee’s Years of Continuous Service

Number of Semesters per Child

3 but less than 6 2
6 but less than 9 4
9 but less than 10 6
10 or more 8