Frequently Asked Questions
- How many people can I add to my group?You may add up to 10 people to your group.
- How do I remove someone from my group?You cannot remove someone from your group; however, you can remove yourself from a group by clicking “Leave Roommate Group” on the Roommates Page in the Housing Application.
- How will I know if someone has requested to add me to their group?You will need to log into the My Housing Portal and check your roommate requests in your application. It is recommended that you actively communicate with people whom you intend to add to your group.
- I cannot find my friends in the Roommates Page when I search for them using the BU ID number.
- Make sure you are entering the correct BU ID number.
- Check with your friend that they have started the Housing Application.
- Your friend may already be in another group.
- Can I leave a group?You can leave a group at any time, unless you are the group creator, and create or join another group by clicking “Leave Roommate Group” on the Roommates Page. The option to leave will appear once you are part of a group.
- What happens if no one from my group has assigned me to a room?If no one from your group has assigned you to a room then you will need to choose a room during your time slot. Check with members of your group if they will assign you to a room.
- I initially chose Same Room selection, but now want to go to a different room. Can I still participate in Internal or Community Room Selection?If you select your Same Room, you may opt out (by the posted deadline) and switch to participate in Internal or Community Room Selection only if you have not participated in Same Room Pull-In and assigned someone into your current living space.
- How are Same Room Pull-In times determined?Same Room Pull-In times are based on lottery numbers assigned to students at the beginning of the Room Selection process.
- Who in my group is responsible for selecting and assigning my room?When the time comes to select a room, any member of the group (ideally the member with the best time slot) can assign other members of the group.
- What if multiple people in my group have the same time slot?Either one can select and assign students from their group into their room.
- Why am I receiving an error when I try to choose a room?You will receive an error if you do not meet the requirements for that residence. Living-Learning and Specialty Communities require you to submit an application and be approved beforehand. Student Village apartments require Junior/Senior standing for all residents.
- Why can’t I assign someone from my group to my room?The person you are trying to assign has already been assigned to a room by someone else in their group, OR they do not meet the requirements for your selected residence. Living-Learning and Specialty Communities require all prospective residents to submit an application and be approved beforehand. Student Village apartments require Junior/Senior standing for all residents.
- How can I live in Gender-Neutral Housing?On the Housing Application you will be asked if you wish to participate in Gender-Neutral Housing. You only need to respond “Yes” to this question in order to take part in the Gender-Neutral Room Selection process.
- How can a room become a gender-neutral room?During Same Room Selection you will have the option to designate the gender of your room. This is the best option to make your room gender neutral. During Same Room Pull-In process you must fill your room if you have chosen gender-neutral housing. BU Housing designates approximately 100 bed spaces as gender-neutral for the academic year which will be available during Community Room Selection.
Rooms that are not eligible for gender-neutral include Claflin, Rich and Sleeper Halls; the Warren Towers complex; and The Towers. Freshmen are not eligible to live in gender-neutral housing, regardless of residence location. Suites and rooms within Living-Learning and Specialty Communities are not eligible to be gender-neutral.
- What if all gender-neutral rooms are filled?If all gender-neutral rooms have been filled by your pick time then you will continue with the single-gender room selection process.
- Can I do Same Room Selection in a Living-Learning Community or Specialty Community?Yes, you can. You must have applied and been approved to live in that residence by the deadline. For more information click here.
See also: Gender-Neutral Housing FAQs