Move-In & Move-Out

Moving In

When you arrive on campus, check in at the residence office for your assigned residence.

You’ll be given, and asked to sign for, the keys to your residence. You’ll also need to complete a hall registration card and provide emergency contact information. Students must be registered and have settled their University student accounts before they will be issued residence keys.

If you plan to arrive after the first day of classes, please notify BU Housing.

If you plan to ship personal belongings (or your family plans to send you packages), schedule these items to arrive on, or after, the day you are scheduled to move in. You should travel to campus with the essential items you will need during your first few days on campus.

Did you know BU has a goal to be Zero Waste by 2030? When preparing for move-in, please reduce your usage of cardboard and packaging materials. Help keep our valued staff and partners safe while contributing to BU’s Zero Waste goal. For more information about move-in and sustainability click here.

  • Pack belongings in reusable totes and suitcases
  • Use things you already have for packing supplies – towels, t-shirts, or blankets instead of bubble wrap or styrofoam
  • Utilize low-waste and environmentally friendly packaging options for shipping and online-ordering of items to campus

Read about furnishings, mail rooms, laundry, and more in Services & Amenities. If you need a packing checklist, please review our What to Bring page for suggestions.

Upon check-in, you’ll be asked to complete an online room condition report to assess the condition of your room assignment.

Moving Out

Find out more about moving out Spring 2024.

Review the residence calendar, which lists the dining hall closing schedule and the move-out dates for degree and nondegree candidates.

You are responsible for turning in your keys to your residence office whenever you move out of a residence, or if you move from one residence to another during the year.

Please remove all of your belongings, and leave the room or apartment in a clean and habitable condition. All furniture that was in your room when you moved in is expected to be there and arranged as you found it. If you fail to properly check out and turn in your keys, you may be charged additional residence, dining plan, and lock/key fees.

If you’re moving off campus from a dormitory-style residence, always remember to update your home address in the MyBU Student Portal, so that your mail can be forwarded. If you’re moving from an apartment-style residence (other than 10 Buick Street and 33 Harry Agganis Way), you must complete a change-of-address form online at