Hiring Temporary Personnel

There are times when you may need to hire personnel for a temporary period or for a particular short-term project.

This could include:

  • Additional/temporary help needed during peak departmental periods
  • Special projects with a clearly-defined beginning and end date
  • Temporarily filling in for an “open” staff position
  • Temporarily filling in for an employee who is on a short-term leave (less than 9 months)
  • Hiring temporary staff on an event-only basis

There are three types of Temporary Personnel. Each is listed below:

Temporary Employee is an individual who is hired directly by you in the department (formerly referred to as a “casual” employee) and who is paid through Boston University payroll. A Temporary Employee cannot be employed at the University for more than nine months. The department determines the temporary employee’s pay rate and the duration of employment.

Temporary Agency Personnel are individuals hired through an outside employment agency and are considered employees of that agency. TerrierTemps is BU’s Contingent Workforce Management (CWM) program that provides a single source for finding, screening, selecting and paying for these Temporary Agency Personnel. These Temporary Agency Personnel are not paid through the Boston University payroll system; they are paid through their employment agency.

Independent Contractors are individuals, sole proprietors (including single member LLC’s), partnerships, corporations, etc. which render services to the general public. Independent Contractors (ICs) are responsible for the means and methods for completing a task based on specifications in a contract with the University. Contractors generally have multiple clients, maintain a separate workplace and are not supervised or controlled by University employees. For more information on engaging ICs, please visit the Sourcing & Procurement website.