The MSW application is open now
We are currently accepting Fall 2022 Master of Social Work (MSW) applications to our Worcester Hybrid Program and the Off-Campus Programs in Bedford, Cape Cod, and Fall River. We are also accepting Fall 2022 MSW applications to the Online Program. Applications to our On-Campus (Charles River) Program for Fall 2022 are currently being accepted on a space-available basis. To inquire about our On-Campus Program, please email email@example.com.
Select your program of interest below to view their application deadlines.
Important Notes: Read Before Applying
- Applicants are encouraged to use a Gmail account when creating an application to ensure that you receive all emails regarding application status updates, admission decisions, and other important communications.
- Once you are enrolled in a program, you cannot switch tracks (ex. Traditional Track to Human Service Experience Track). If you would like to switch tracks, this must be done during the application phase and prior to the application deadline. Additionally, you cannot transfer to another campus or program (ex. Charles River Campus to Online Program) to switch tracks once enrolled in a program.
- Applicants may apply for only ONE campus per application cycle.
- If you have applied and were not accepted, you must wait one year to reapply to any of our campuses or programs, including the Online MSW Program.
- Advanced Standing applicants: Applicants who are currently in their senior year of a Bachelor of Social Work program and completing their field internship must submit a mid-year field evaluation with their application or as soon as it becomes available. Your acceptance is conditional upon receiving your final field evaluation. If you are doing a block placement and do not have a mid-year evaluation yet, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on what to submit with your advanced standing application.
Contact us at email@example.com or 1-833-255-8970 for assistance or questions.
On-Campus Program – Charles River (Boston) Campus
The application for Fall 2022 entry to our On-Campus MSW Program is currently accepting applications on a space available-basis.
- To inquire about our On-Campus MSW Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online MSW Program
The application for Fall 2022 entry to our Online MSW Program is currently accepting applications. Apply here.
- Fall Priority Deadline: June 1, 2022
The Online MSW Program accepts students three times a year. Students can apply to begin the online program in the spring (January), summer (May), or fall (September) semester. Applicants to our Online MSW Program Priority Deadline may request an application fee wavier prior to submitting an application. To request a fee waiver please email email@example.com before the application deadline.
Off-Campus MSW Program (Bedford, Cape Cod & Fall River)
The application for our Off-Campus MSW Programs is open now for Fall 2022. Apply here.
- Fall Final Deadline: June 1, 2022
The Off-Campus MSW Program accepts students for the fall (September) semester. Applicants to our Off-Campus MSW Program may request an application fee wavier prior to submitting an application. To request a fee waiver please email firstname.lastname@example.org before the application deadline.
Worcester Hybrid MSW Program
The application for our Worcester Hybrid MSW Program is open now for Fall 2022. Apply here.
- Fall Final Deadline: June 1, 2022
The Worcester Hybrid MSW Program accepts students for the fall (September) semester. Applicants to our Worcester Hybrid MSW Program may request an application fee wavier prior to submitting an application. To request a fee waiver please email email@example.com before the application deadline.
Program & Degree Options at a Glance
Charles River Campus (Boston)
- Full-time traditional track (65 credits, 2 field internships, typically completed in 2 years)
- Part-time traditional track (65 credits, 2 field internships, typically completed in 3-4 years)
- Part-time Human Service Experience track (65 credits, 1 field internship, typically completed in 6 semesters)
- Advanced Standing (40 or 43 credits, 1 field internship, typically completed in 3 semesters)
- Options to major in Clinical Practice or Macro Practice
- Three track options
Off-Campus Programs (Bedford, Cape Cod Blended & Fall River) and Worcester Hybrid Program
- Part-time, weekend classes at four Massachusetts locations (Middlesex Community College, Bristol Community College, Cape Cod Community College*, College of the Holy Cross)
- Cohort model
- Field internships within your local community
- Clinical Practice major
- Traditional Track (8 semesters, 65 credits, 2 field internships) available at all campuses
- Human Service Experience Track (65 credits, 1 field internship, 8 semesters)
- Advanced Standing (6 consecutive semesters, 40-43 credits, 1 field internship) available at all off-campus locations except Worcester
Please Note: Applicants to the Worcester Hybrid Program must be living within the 50 states at the time the program begins in order to participate. Those living in U.S. Territories, countries outside of the U.S., and military bases outside of the 50 states are ineligible for the Worcester Hybrid Program due to online course requirements.
*The Cape Cod Blended Program offers in-person classes for fall and spring and online classes during summer semesters.
- Traditional Track (65 credits, 2 field internships, 9 semesters)
- Human Service Experience Track (65 credits, 1 field internship, 9 semesters)
- Advanced Standing (40 or 43 credits, 1 field internship, typically completed in 6 semesters)
- Options to major in Clinical Practice or Macro Practice
Applicants must be living within the 50 states at the time the Online Program begins to participate in the program. Those living in US territories, countries outside of the US, and military bases outside of the 50 states are ineligible for the Online Program. Boston University allows students to enroll in online programs regardless of immigration status. However, online students are not eligible for F-1 immigration sponsorship through Boston University. Applicants living abroad may apply for the program but must be living in one of the 50 states by the start of the program.
State Board of Education requirements and state licensing requirements for social workers differ from state to state. Please be sure to research your state’s Board of Education and social work licensing requirements.
Fee Waivers (US citizens or permanent residents only)
The Boston University School of Social Work will waive, or partially cover, the $95 admissions application fee for applicants who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents, and who fall into one of the following categories:
- AmeriCorps members or alumni
- Attendees at select admissions events
- BU affiliates (current Boston University employees, students, or alumni)
- City Year members or alumni
- Individuals who demonstrate financial need
- McNair Scholars
- Peace Corps members or alumni
Once you have started your application and received a CAS ID number, you may request a fee waiver. Directions on how to submit a fee waiver request are outlined below.
To all applicants: Please do not submit your application until you receive an e-mail notifying you whether your waiver request has been approved or denied. If you submit your application before your waiver has been approved, your waiver will be nullified, and we will be unable to refund your application fee.
Fee Waiver Documentation Requirements
- AmeriCorps, City Year, or Peace Corps members and alumni: Your service verification letter
- BU affiliates (current Boston University employees, students, or alumni): Your BU ID number
- Individuals who demonstrate financial need: For individuals currently in school, please send us a copy of your most recent financial aid assistance package from your financial aid office. For individuals not currently in school, you may send us a letter outlining your current financial situation. In this letter please include documentation of financial need (ie: a recent pay stub, W2, or a bank statement).
- Veterans: Any documentation that verifies you have served in the US military
- Attendees at select admissions events: Name of event attended and date
Fee Waiver Instructions
To request an application fee waiver, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Fee Waiver” in the subject line.
In the e-mail, please include your CAS ID number, and the supporting documentation of the reason for which you are requesting a fee waiver.
Fee Waiver Deadlines
To be considered for a fee waiver, please submit all required documentation prior to submitting an application. All questions can be directed to email@example.com.
Former Wheelock College Graduate Students
Former Wheelock College graduate students that did not transition to Boston University prior to June 1, 2018, may petition for reconsideration to transition. Learn more.
If a student will not be able to complete the MSW or PhD program within the allowed timeframe after previously taking a leave of absence*, or has completely withdrawn from a program and wishes to return, the student must re-apply to the program by completing the full admissions process.
Please indicate on your application that you are re-applying in the “Personal Information” section under the “Other Information” tab. Be sure to upload transcripts indicating any courses taken within BUSSW. Indicate in your personal statement when you last attended.
*MSW students must complete their degree within six years of the start of the program. PhD students must complete their degree within seven years of their start date.
If you have any questions, please email BUSSW Admissions: firstname.lastname@example.org