Returning from a Leave of Absence
If you have taken an official Leave of Absence from BUSSW within the past five years and wish to return, you must indicate your interest in returning to your MSW or PhD program by:
- November 1 for Spring term
- March 1 for Summer term
- June 1 for Fall term
Requirements of Returning from a Leave
If you are currently on a Leave of Absence and are interested in returning to BUSSW, please submit the “Request for Return” form below.
If you are returning within 12 months of taking a LOA, you do not need to submit additional materials with the form.
If it has been one year or more since you began your LOA, please submit the following with the form:
- Transcripts for any courses completed since your LOA began
- List of any new paid and/or volunteer experience
- One new reference
- A personal biographical update: Please write a brief statement about education, work, and/or volunteer experiences you have had since your previous application. In what way have these experiences affected your interest in and knowledge of social work? Please limit this statement to one double-spaced, typed page.
Additionally, you must meet any special requirements prescribed at the time when you took a leave from BUSSW.
You must complete the program within:
- 6 years of your original start date (MSW)
- 7 years of your original start date (PhD)
If you are not able to complete your program in this time frame, we encourage you to review the process of reapplying to SSW.
Please note: If you left BUSSW for reasons related to educational concerns noted at the time of your LOA, your material will be reviewed by the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, who may request additional material and/or an interview. The Associate Dean will determine whether a status review should be convened to determine if you are allowed to re-enroll at BUSSW.
Request to Return Form