Advanced Standing

Because change can’t wait.

If you have earned or will complete a bachelor’s degree from a CSWE accredited undergraduate program in social work, we offer an Advanced Standing Track at the following campuses:

  • Charles River Campus (Boston): Full-time and part-time Advanced Standing options
  • Off-Campus Program: Fall River, Bedford and Cape Cod campuses offer part-time Advanced Standing
  • Online Program: Offers part-time Advanced Standing

The Advanced Standing option is open to candidates with an undergraduate social work degree from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. A minimum undergraduate academic GPA of 3.0 (B) is required for admission. The undergraduate social work degree must have been obtained within six years before entry into the program.

Students accepted to our Advanced Standing Program are given 22-25 credit hours. The additional 43 credits required for graduation (or 40 credits if the student passes the Research 1 Waiver Exam) must be taken at the School of Social Work or as part of a School of Social Work-approved course of study. No additional transfer credits will be accepted toward the MSW degree.

In order to apply, you must:

  • Meet all requirements for general applicants
  • Have an undergraduate social work degree from a college or university accredited by the Council on Social Work Education within six years of program entry
  • Have a minimum undergraduate cumulative academic average of 3.0 or higher
  • Submit a copy of your final field evaluation from your senior year field placement. If you are in your last year of your placement while applying, please submit your mid-year field evaluation. If you are doing a block placement and do not have a mid-year evaluation yet, please email for instructions on what to submit with your advanced standing application.
  • If admitted to the program, acceptance is contingent upon receipt and approval of your final field evaluation. The field evaluation should be submitted in addition to the three mandatory references. The person who completes your field evaluation cannot serve as a reference.
  • Advanced Standing applicants: The individual who evaluates your field work should not write a reference for you as it is expected that this person will submit your senior year field evaluation. You are required to provide three different recommendations that do not include the individual who evaluates your field work.