Welcome to Boston University School of Social Work’s On-Campus MSW Program!
You have an exciting and challenging year ahead and we look forward to guiding you through your graduate education at BUSSW. The following information will help you prepare to enter the program.
Fall 2023 & Vaccinations
BUSSW will continue in-person teaching for the fall 2023 semester for our Charles River, Off-Campus and Hybrid programs.
Boston University has announced that it will require all students enrolled in classes on all campuses to be vaccinated before the start of classes, effective Fall 2021. You can read more in the Dean’s message here, or at Back2BU, a resource designed to keep our community informed of policies and updates related to COVID-19.
Note: All incoming Charles River Campus graduate students at Boston University must complete Student Health Services’ Incoming Heath Requirements. For more information, please click here.
- March 25, 2023 – Class Registration (Advanced Standing Students)
- May 15, 2023 – Transfer Credit Requests Due
- Early June 2023 – Class Registration (not including Advanced Standing Students)
- June 26, 2023 – Final Field Evaluations Due (Advanced Standing Students)
- August 1, 2023 – Official Transcripts Due
Fall Semester 2022
- Late August 2023 – Field Education Orientation (This orientation will be held virtually from 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM EST.)
- September 5, 2023 – All-Student MSW Orientation
- Week of September 6, 2023 – Field Education I and II Begin
- September 6, 2023 – First Day of Classes
- Late October 2023 – Registration begins for Spring 2023
- December 15, 2023 – Last day of classes
- December 15, 2023 – Last day of Field Education
On-Campus MSW Admitted Student Webinar
The Admissions Team will be hosting an Advanced Standing Admitted Students Event on Tuesday, January 3rd! During our event, incoming Advanced Standing MSW students will be welcomed by Dean Delva, and hear from the many departments and folks here to support you in various ways during your time at BUSSW: Student Services and Registrar, Financial Aid, Field Education, and the Admissions Team.
Please note: we will be recording each session of our Admitted Students Day events. Our team will update this webpage as more Admitted Students events and recordings become available!
You will receive all this information and more in monthly email packets beginning in the spring. Please be on the lookout!
- Obtain Login Name and Kerberos Password
- Email Account
- The Student Link
- BUSSW CRC Incoming Student Attestation – Program Requirement Document
- Academic Honesty – 2023-2024
- Get your Terrier Student ID
- Registration Guide (Packet 1 of 3)
Our community is looking forward to welcoming you on campus in September 2023! Planning is underway for orientation, so be sure to check back here for more detailed information as it becomes available.
Financial Aid Information
FINANCIAL AID INFORMATION
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan 2023 Fact Sheet
- SSW Student Expense Budget
- Private Scholarship Resources
- Credit-Based Loan Information
- Financial Aid Checklist
- Information About Your Financial Aid Award
- Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy
Tuition Payment Plan
Students and their families may choose to budget all or part of their academic charges in monthly installments with the Tuition Payment Plan.
Please click here for information on veterans services.
Full-time and Advanced Standing Students
Upon receipt of your $300 tuition deposit, the Field Education Department will send you information regarding the field placement process. Once contacted, you are encouraged to reply to the Field Education Office as soon as possible.
Part-time Students (Charles River and Off-Campus Programs)
Incoming part-time students do not have a field placement during their first year.
Field Education Orientation (for Full-Time CRC students, not including Advanced Standing students)
More information about this event and registration will be provided to enrolled students via email at a later date.
For more information about field education, visit this page.
To contact field education, email email@example.com.
Official Transcripts & Field Evaluation
University-issued official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) institutions should be mailed to the Admissions and Financial Aid Office or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1, 2023. If you are currently completing the final semester of undergraduate study, an official copy of your transcript indicating that you received a bachelor’s degree must be mailed to the Admissions and Financial Aid Office by August 1, 2023. If you are an advanced standing student, a copy of your final field evaluation must also be mailed to us by June 26, 2023.
Our mailing address is:
Boston University School of Social Work
264 Bay State Road
Boston, MA 02215
Research Waiver Exam
For detailed information about the Research Waiver Exam, including important deadlines and contact information, go to the Social Work Research Waiver Exam webpage.
Advanced Standing (AS) Students
AS course registration packets will be sent out at the end of April explaining how AS students register for fall courses. Two to three additional packets will be sent via email during the summer with other important information for AS students.
Please note: the final field education evaluations are due on June 26, 2023. Official transcripts are due on August 1, 2023. If you have any questions about this process, please contact our Admissions Team at email@example.com.
An online AS Welcome & FAQ session will be offered for Advanced Standing Students mid-summer. More information about this event will be provided to AS students via email at a later date.
AS students will be enrolled in either a macro or clinical seminar on Thursday mornings during the academic year. Please be sure to register for FE800AS (for clinical AS students) or MP MP794 (for macro students)
AS students are encouraged to attend the day-long Orientation for all incoming students. While Orientation planning is underway at this time, please be sure to monitor your email for more information.
Classes begin in early September 2023.
Please contact the Office of Student Services with any questions.
State Authorization and Distance Education
This site provides a variety of information regarding distance education programs, including:
- Boston University State Authorization and Distance Education Disclosures
- Complaint Resolution process
- The University’s Refund Policy
- Information for professional licensure and certification
- Information about International Distance Education
There are many resources available to graduate students relocating to the Boston area. Below you will find helpful information and resources to assist you with relocation efforts.
- Boston University Graduate Student Housing Resource
- Graduate Student Residences
- Resident Assistant and Graduate Resident Assistant Positions
Most common neighborhoods that Boston University students reside within include:
Additional neighborhoods include:
- Back Bay
- Jamaica Plain
Off-Campus Housing Resources
Throughout the summer you will receive pertinent materials from Boston University School of Social Work in the form of an electronic packet. Please be sure we have your most up-to-date email and mailing addresses. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any changes.