Pharmaceutical Development, Delivery, and Access.
Examine the intersection of public health and the pharmaceutical sector as you acquire skills in pharmaceutical development, delivery, and policy.
For admission eligibility, degree requirements, deadlines, and application information, contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the BU Bulletin for Course Requirements
What You Will Learn
Upon graduation, students will be able to:
- Communicate the role of pharmaceuticals as public health tools for prevention and treatment of acute and chronic diseases.
- Examine critical steps in research and development of pharmaceuticals, including clinical trials and market dynamics.
- Analyze the performance of the pharmaceutical sector using key indicators.
- Demonstrate the ability to access and use data related to the financing, procurement, distribution and use of pharmaceuticals in order to propose solutions to domestic and international pharmaceutical challenges.
- Apply a multi-disciplinary systems approach to analyzing the overlapping roles of the public and private sectors in pharmaceutical policy including innovation, intellectual property and medicines regulation.
Sample Course Titles
- Pharmaceuticals in Public Health: An Introductory Course
- Pharmaceutical Management, Policy & Practice
- Design & Conduct of Clinical Trials
- Drug Epidemiology
- Business Development Intern, Aldatu Biosciences (Boston, MA)
- Pharmaceuticals and Health Technologies Group, Management Sciences for Health (Arlington, VA)
- Public Policy and Government Affairs Intern, Biogen (Cambridge, MA)
- Global Transparency Data Analyst, ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Cambridge, MA)
- Global Alliance for Vaccine and Immunization (GAVI, Switzerland) – increasing vaccine access and equity through policy
- World Health Organization (Geneva, Switzerland) – developing a methodology to collect information on appropriate antibiotic use
- Health Systems Administrative Intern, Veterans’ Affairs Boston Health Care System
- Management Sciences for Health (Namibia) – working on pharmaceutical systems strengthening programs
- Biogen (Cambridge, MA) – pricing and reimbursement strategy intern supporting activities to develop pricing and access strategies
- Pathfinder International (Vietnam) – assisting in a mhealth based HIV study in communities outside of Hanoi
- Boston Children’s Hospital – working on a study on TB-related stigma in India
Certificate Director: Warren Kaplan