Kilachand Academic Advising
Kilachand’s Academic Advising Mission
Advising at Kilachand is a collaborative process of intellectual exploration that establishes a network between Kilachand, our students’ home schools and colleges, and the many resources of Boston University. We hope that students will visit us familiar with their requirements, allowing us to use our time together to make thoughtful choices and nurture reflection.
Academic Advisors at Kilachand help students to:
• identify and integrate their interests, strengths, and goals
• craft a fulfilling and coherent academic plan
• identify and access on-campus resources for opportunities and support
• understand the intent of the Kilachand curriculum and integrate Kilachand and general education requirements
• find balance in managing the various aspects of their university experience
• engage with community through leadership opportunities, hosting events, and enriching peer connections
Kilachand Academic Advising Structure
All Kilachand students are assigned an academic advisor at Kilachand Honors College. Kilachand Academic Advisors are specialists in the Kilachand curriculum and support students as they make progress through the BU Hub.
While Kilachand Academic Advisors are knowledgeable about majors and programs across BU, we encourage students to build their web of support by utilizing their academic advisors across campus. The community members who are available to guide you in specific ways are your academic advisors in your school, college, or major, the Pre-Professional Advising Office, your graduation advisor, directors of scholarship or community programs, the Office of Study Abroad, the Center for Career Development, or your ROTC or athletics advisor. It is particularly important for you to build relationships with their faculty and we encourage you to connect with your faculty members to discuss research, graduate school, and career plans and opportunities.
Kilachand Academic Advising is holistic, meaning that the members of the Kilachand Student Advising Team work with students not just through one-on-one meetings but welcome conversations at community and co-curricular events, support students as leaders and community members through student groups and experiential initiatives, and regularly engage with students outside of the office and the classroom.
Who do I go to for… ?
- Dual Degree – the Dual Degree Coordinator at your home school
- Intra-University transfer – the IUT Coordinator at your home school
- Career advice and major choice – the BU Center for Career Development
- Internships – BU Center for Career Development
- Major questions – your school, college, or major advisor
- Study Abroad – BU Study Abroad
- Language Study – the departments of Romance Studies or World Languages & Literatures
- Enrolling in a course outside of Kilachand – the department offering the course
- Pre-health coursework and medical school applications – Pre-Health Advising
- College Reports for transfer or graduate school applications, see here.
Meeting with your Kilachand Academic Advisor
Drop-in advising is appropriate for quick questions and other issues that are easily solvable in 10 minutes or less. For more in-depth discussions (including long-term planning), please schedule an appointment with your Kilachand Academic Advisor or the appropriate offices outlined above. Please be mindful that drop-in moments may be limited during registration advising periods.
Make an appointment:
You can make an appointment with your advisor directly via email or by using our online appointment form. Please indicate times at least two business days following your request to allow your advisor the time to respond to your request and prepare for your meeting.
Please know that Kilachand Academic Advisors cannot give you permission for permission-required courses or enroll you in full courses outside of Kilachand. It is typically most appropriate for you to connect with the school, college, department, or faculty offering those courses. You’ll often find instructions on the Student Link regarding the best contact in those scenarios.