Policies on Records

Address Change

Students must notify the University of any local or home address changes. To do this, update your address via the Student Link. If you reside in on-campus residences, your local address will be updated by the Housing Office.

If you were assigned to a dormitory-style residence or the Student Residence at 10 Buick Street, you must complete and submit a change-of-address card to your residence mail room. If you were assigned to an apartment-style residence (other than the Student Residence at 10 Buick Street), you should file a change-of-address card online at the USPS store or 512 Park Drive.

Disciplinary Records and Dean’s Certification Forms

Judicial Affairs (part of the Dean of Students) maintains all nonacademic student disciplinary records. To obtain a summary of your disciplinary history, you may complete a Records Release Form. Completed access forms may be scanned and emailed to judws@bu.edu, faxed to Judicial Affairs at 617-358-0707, dropped off in person or mailed to Judicial Affairs, 25 Buick Street, Boston, MA 02215.

If you would like a summary of your disciplinary history to be released to an outside agency (transfer institution, graduate school, professional organization, bar admission, employment verification, etc.,) please complete a Request for Access to Judicial Records form and include any pertinent application forms and waivers. These are sometimes referred to as “Dean’s Certification” or “Dean’s Recommendation” forms. You will also need to include all applicable forwarding addresses. Please allow sufficient time (approximately 2-4 weeks) for processing these requests. Due to the large volume of such requests, Judicial Affairs processes requests first-come, first served. We do not entertain requests for expedited records processing.

Most applications for undergraduate transfer, graduate schools and professional organizations include questions concerning both academic and non-academic conduct. Judicial Affairs provides information pertaining only to nonacademic conduct, but will forward the form to the appropriate school or college for completion of the academic portion.

Special Note Regarding the Common Application: Students using the Common Application should print off the form titled, “Transfer Registrar Report” and submit it, along with a completed a Records Release Form to Judicial Affairs. Judicial Affairs will fill out the non-academic disciplinary portion of this form and forward the completed documents to your BU school/college for completion of the academic portions. Your school/college’s advising office will then mail the completed Common App Transfer Registrar Report to your specified transfer institutions.

Please do not use the Common Application option, “Invite a Registrar” to get your Boston University information, as we do not release student records in such a way. Please follow the above instructions to gain this information.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of a student’s education records. In compliance with FERPA, Boston University does not disclose personally identifiable information contained in student education records, except as authorized by law.

Information about students’ rights under FERPA and Boston University’s implementation of FERPA is set forth by the Office of the University Registrar. Please visit the Office of the University Registrar.

Post Your Comment