If you are classified by the University as a regular employee, work 50% or more of a full-time schedule, and have an appointment of nine months or more duration, you and your eligible family members may participate in the Boston University Health Plan. If you are eligible, and elect coverage, coverage will start on the first day of the month coincident with or next following your date of hire depending on your date of hire.
If you become ineligible, you lose coverage (subject to COBRA). If your schedule drops below 50% of full-time on or after January 1, 2015, you will no longer be eligible to continue to participate in a health plan option at Boston University. Please confirm your status with Human Resources.
There are four levels of coverage available under the Health Plan:
- Individual membership (yourself only)
- Individual plus spouse (you and your opposite sex or same sex spouse as defined in Massachusetts)
- Individual plus child(ren) (you and one or more children)
- Family membership (you and your eligible family members)
Documentation Required for Dependent Eligibility
For all eligible dependents whom you wish to cover under the BU plans, you must provide the following documents:
- Spouse: Marriage certificate (government issued)
- Common Law Spouse: Common law marriage certificate (only for those married in a state that accepts common law marriage)
- Child: Birth certificate or adoption certificate or certificate of live birth
- Stepchild: Birth certificate of child plus marriage certificate of current spouse
- Ward: Court ordered document of legal custody