If You Leave the University

If your employment with Boston University ends at any time before retirement, you are fully vested in all of your Retirement Plan funds. You will be entitled to receive payment of your accounts as follows:

  1. You may elect to receive a lump-sum distribution of your moneys invested through Fidelity
  2. You may leave funds on deposit for distribution at a later date. Under current tax laws, payments must start by the April 1 following the calendar year in which you reach age 72. You may not make contributions directly to your accounts.
  3. You may roll over moneys invested through Fidelity to an IRA or other plan that accepts rollovers, provided that you meet federal tax law requirements.

When you terminate your employment with the University, the rights of your spouse also apply to the choice of a form of payment for benefits due.