Program at a Glance
- Online and On Campus
- Part-Time Study
- 16 Credits
- 8–12 Months to Completion
- 17 Core Faculty
- No GRE/GMAT
- Tuition & Fees Range—Part-Time Study*: $13,720–$15,400
*Based on 2023–2024 Boston University tuition and fees.
Learn to Develop Web Applications
By completing the BU MET Web Application Development certificate, you will have the skills necessary to pursue roles such as:
- Web application developer, designing user interactions on websites, databases for website functionality, and coding for mobile platforms
#8, Best Online Master's in Computer Information Technology Programs
MET’s online master’s degrees in computer information technology are ranked #8 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 2024.Learn More
Receive more details about your program of interest.Learn More
Computer Science Career Outlook
Top computer science careers in data science, software development, and other popular areas of IT.Learn more
Why BU Should Be Your Top Choice for Computer Science Graduate Study
- Active Learning Environment: BU MET’s computer science courses ensure you get the attention you need, while introducing case studies and real-world projects that emphasize technical and theoretical knowledge—combining in-depth, practical experience with the critical skills needed to remain on the forefront of the information technology field.
- Engaged Faculty: In BU MET’s computer science graduate programs, you benefit from working closely with highly qualified faculty and seasoned industry leaders in a wide range of technology fields who are committed to teaching the latest technologies within the framework of ideas, concepts, and methods that drive innovation.
- Extensive Network: Study alongside peers and professionals with solid IT experience, learn from faculty who have valuable contacts across several sectors, and benefit from an alumni community with strong professional connections.
- 15:1 Class Ratio: Enjoy an exceptional student-to-instructor ratio, ensuring close interaction with faculty and access to support.
- Valuable Resources: Make use of Boston University’s extensive resources, including the Center for Career Development, Educational Resource Center, Fitness & Recreation Center, IT Help Centers, Mugar Memorial Library, Center for Antiracist Research, Howard Thurman Center for Common Ground, George Sherman Union, Rafik B. Hariri Institute for Computing and Computational Science & Engineering, and many others.
- Flexible Options: Study at the pace that works for you, evenings on campus or fully online. Courses begin fall, spring, and summer; online courses have two starts per term.
- Track Record: Learn from the best—BU MET’s Department of Computer Science was established in 1979 and is the longest-running computer science department at BU. Over its four decades, the department has played an important role in the emergence of IT at the University and throughout the region.
Prepare for the Future of Technology with BU MET
The four-course Web Application Development graduate certificate is part of BU MET’s portfolio of computer science and IT graduate programs. For over forty years, the Department of Computer Science at Metropolitan College has prepared students to tackle contemporary challenges in the field. Our programs are uniquely flexible—we offer courses evenings on campus, fully online, or in a blended format that combines online study with occasional campus visits—so you can balance graduate school with your career, family, and other obligations. We take pride in providing training in critical specialization areas and emphasizing practical, insightful, and adaptable knowledge that can be immediately applied on the job while informing your career growth for years to come. We also offer extensive advising to help you identify the subjects you’ll need to achieve your career goals.
Our degree programs are certified by the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS)—the MS in Computer Information Systems has additional accreditation from the Project Management Institute Global Accreditation Center for Project Management Education Programs (GAC) and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Boston University is designated a Center of Academic Excellence (CAE) in Cyber Defense and Research by the National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security.
Gain Expertise in Web App Development
Metropolitan College’s Graduate Certificate in Web Application Development will equip you with:
- Advanced knowledge of web application development languages.
- Competence sufficient to apply acquired knowledge in migrating to new and emerging standards and technologies.
You can earn the master’s in Computer Information Systems with a concentration in Web Application Development by completing the Graduate Certificate in Web Application Development and the Graduate Certificate in Information Technology, plus two additional courses: Introduction to Probability and Statistics (MET CS 546 ) and either Information Structures with Java (MET CS 520) or Information Structures with Python (MET CS 521). Students currently enrolled in a graduate certificate who are interested in transitioning into a master’s degree should contact their academic advisor to declare their interest in this pathway. A new master’s degree application is not required. Connect with a graduate admissions advisor at email@example.com to learn more about this option.
Web Application Development Graduate Certificate Curriculum
(Four courses/16 credits)
MET CS 601 Web Application Development
MET CS 602 Server-Side Web Development
MET CS 701 Rich Internet Application Development
And one course selected from the following (some courses may not be available in the online format):
MET CS 526 Data Structures and Algorithms
MET CS 532 Computer Graphics
MET CS 544 Foundations of Analytics and Data Visualization
MET CS 555 Foundations of Machine Learning
MET CS 561 Financial Analytics
MET CS 570 Biomedical Sciences and Health IT
MET CS 580 Health Informatics
MET CS 581 Health Information Systems
MET CS 599 Biometrics
MET CS 622 Advanced Programming Techniques
MET CS 632 Information Technology Project Management
MET CS 633 Software Quality, Testing, and Security Management
MET CS 634 Agile Software Development
MET CS 635 Network Media Technologies
MET CS 664 Artificial Intelligence
MET CS 665 Software Design and Patterns
MET CS 667 Enterprise Java
MET CS 669 Database Design and Implementation for Business
MET CS 674 Database Security
MET CS 677 Data Science with Python
MET CS 683 Mobile Application Development with Android
MET CS 684 Enterprise Cybersecurity Management
MET CS 685 Network Design and Management
MET CS 688 Web Mining and Graph Analytics
MET CS 689 Designing and Implementing a Data Warehouse
MET CS 690 Network Security
MET CS 693 Digital Forensics and Investigations
MET CS 694 Mobile Forensics and Security
MET CS 695 Cybersecurity
MET CS 699 Data Mining
MET CS 775 Advanced Networking
MET CS 777 Big Data Analytics
MET CS 779 Advanced Database Management
MET CS 781 Advanced Health Informatics
MET CS 783 Enterprise Architecture
MET CS 789 Cryptography
MET CS 793 Special Topics in Computer Science
MET CS 799 Advanced Cryptography
Computer Science Faculty
View All Faculty
Tuition & Financial Assistance
Competitive TuitionOur part-time rates are substantially lower than those of the traditional, full-time residential programs yet provide access to the same high-quality BU education.
Comprehensive Financial AssistanceOur services include scholarships, graduate loans, and payment plans.
How Much Does This Program Cost?
BU MET programs offer the flexibility of part-time study, either on campus or online. Tuition, fees, and total program cost are determined by enrollment status. Course enrollment in this certificate program is 1–2 courses (4–8 credits) in a semester, and tuition is charged the part-time per-credit rate.
Web Application Development Graduate Certificate (Online and On Campus)
|Courses per Semester
|Time to Degree
|Fees per Semester*
|Total Degree Cost*
*Based on 2023–2024 Boston University tuition & fee rates.
**Cost per credit is determined by course number (100–599 = $535/credit, 600–999 = $955/credit).
What to Read Next: MET Computer Science & IT Knowledge Center
- How Long Does a Master’s in Computer Science Take to Complete—and What is the Cost?
- Why Get a Master’s Degree in Computer Science at BU MET?
- What Do My Career Options Look Like with a Master’s in Computer Science from BU’s Metropolitan College?
- Are There Different Computer Science Graduate Programs or Specializations at BU?
News & Events
March 18th, 2024 at: 10:30am - 11:00am
The Inside Scoop: Tips for Submitting Your Graduate Admissions Application
April 2nd, 2024 at: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Looking to the Future of Prison Education
April 3rd, 2024 at: 6:00pm - 6:45pm
Graduate Admissions Webinar