For Metropolitan College Students

Within Boston University

Metropolitan College students who wish to take a class offered by another school or college at Boston University must first seek the approval of their Metropolitan College advisor and then work with their advisor to seek the permission of the BU school or college offering the program. Both degree and non-degree students should be advised that the majority of their course load must be Metropolitan College courses.

Within the Consortium

Through a formal agreement with several local colleges and universities, Boston University students can attend courses at other institutions, and students from other institutions can attend courses at BU. For information about qualifying institutions and consortium guidelines, visit the Office of the University Registrar.

For Non-Metropolitan College Students

Non-Metropolitan College students are those enrolled in other Boston University schools and colleges.

Undergraduate Students

Due to the late registration of many Metropolitan College students, only a certain number of seats are reserved for non-Metropolitan College students in the College’s undergraduate classes. Once that number is reached, students are placed on a waitlist maintained by Undergraduate Student Services, 755 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 102. To get on the waitlist students should:

  • Submit a completed Add/Drop Form to Undergraduate Student Services. Please make sure it is dated.
  • Priority is given to seniors, juniors, and UNI students, since College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) freshmen or sophomores registering for Metropolitan College courses need advisor approval.
  • If a student has registered for four courses, they must list the course to be dropped on the same form or attach written approval from their academic advisor for a course overload.
  • Students on the waitlist will be notified in August/beginning of January as to the availability of their desired course. Metropolitan College will then send the completed Add/Drop Form to the Registrar’s office to be processed.

Graduate Students

In most graduate-level programs, seats are reserved for Metropolitan College graduate students. Boston University students who want to take a graduate-level Metropolitan College course should seek permission from the advisor at their BU school or college, and then seek permission from the Metropolitan College academic department or program office that offers the course they are interested in.