Hep C Treatment Misconceptions Common Among People Who Inject Drugs and Their Healthcare Providers
Researchers lay out common narratives side-by-side with relevant guidelines for treating hepatitis C in people who inject drugs.
States with Permissive Gun Laws Have Higher Mass Shooting Rates
Every 10-unit increase in state permissiveness associated with 11 percent higher mass shooting rate.
MBA/MPH Students Reach Semifinals in Case Competition
In nationwide health administration contest, dual-degree students developed strategic plan and recommendations for Georgia-based community hospital.
Community Norms Affect Youths’ Likelihood of Intervening in Sexual/Dating Violence
High school students were more likely to take action if they viewed their community as cohesive, against perpetration, and supportive of survivors.
Complex issues require comprehensive solutions.
Only in the context of social and cultural factors can complex health issues be truly understood. From unhealthy behaviors to gender-based health differences, where and how we live profoundly impact public health concerns. At the Department of Community Health Sciences (CHS), we apply both social and behavioral sciences to enhance the health and well-being of communities and promote health equity.
Our faculty members represent a diversity of scholarly expertise. Among their many interests are improving the health and well-being of individuals, families, and communities; applying scientific theories and evidence from the field to develop interventions and policies tailored to diverse communities; teaching courses that emphasize assessment, intervention, communication, advocacy, and community-based research and practice; broadening student understanding of the factors that shape community health and how to improve it; exploring how disparities impact health in sexual and other minorities; and promoting social change.
Community Health Sciences News
Community Health Sciences Calendar
- Published On 4/30/2020Brady KT, Levin FR, Galanter M, Kleber HD. The American Psychiatric Press Textbook of Substance Use DisordersScreening and Brief Intervention
- Published On 3/1/2019A missing perspective: injectable pre-exposure prophylaxis for people who inject drugs.AIDS careread at PubMed
- Published On 3/1/2019Application of the ConNECT Framework to Precision Health and Health Disparities.Nursing researchread at PubMed
- Published On 3/1/2019Relative Contributions of Pulse Pressure and Arterial Stiffness to Cardiovascular Disease.Hypertension (Dallas, Tex. : 1979)read at PubMed
- Published On 2/19/2019Perceptions of Community Norms and Youths' Reactive and Proactive Dating and Sexual Violence Bystander Action.American journal of community psychologyread at PubMed
- Published On 2/11/2019Evidence-based and guideline-concurrent responses to narratives deferring HCV treatment among people who inject drugs.Harm reduction journalread at PubMed
- Published On 2/7/2019Calorie Intake from Alcohol in Canada: Why New Labelling Requirements are Necessary.Canadian journal of dietetic practice and research : a publication of Dietitians of Canada = Revue canadienne de la pratique et de la recherche en dietetique : une publication des Dietetistes du Canadaread at PubMed
- Published On 2/5/2019Cancer genetic counselors'' experiences with transgender patients: A qualitative study.Journal of genetic counselingread at PubMed
- Published On 2/1/2019Should Physicians Recommend Replacing Opioids With Cannabis?JAMAread at PubMed
- Published On 1/28/2019Risk of 90-day readmission in patients after firearm injury hospitalization: a nationally representative retrospective cohort study.Journal of injury & violence researchread at PubMed