Residential Segregation Associated with Black–White Disparity in Firearm Homicide Rates
States with greater residential segregation of black and white populations have higher racial disparities in fatal firearm homicide.
Evaluating Maternal and Child Health in Post-Earthquake Nepal
Practicum student Victoria Pae assesses progress of Nepal Public Health Foundation maternal and child health projects as government prepares to take reins.
Employment Status Affects Resilience of Sexual Minority Breast Cancer Survivors
Unemployment may reduce resilience in LBQ women but not in straight women.
‘The Time Has Come to Take a Stand’
Monica Wang on Society of Behavioral Medicine’s statement against separating children and parents at border, why public health and medical community had to speak up, and what individuals can still do.
Complex issues require comprehensive solutions.
Only in the context of social and cultural factors can complex health issues be truly understood. From unhealthy behaviors to gender-based health differences, where and how we live profoundly impact public health concerns. At the Department of Community Health Sciences (CHS), we apply both social and behavioral sciences to enhance the health and well-being of communities and promote health equity.
Our faculty members represent a diversity of scholarly expertise. Among their many interests are improving the health and well-being of individuals, families, and communities; applying scientific theories and evidence from the field to develop interventions and policies tailored to diverse communities; teaching courses that emphasize assessment, intervention, communication, advocacy, and community-based research and practice; broadening student understanding of the factors that shape community health and how to improve it; exploring how disparities impact health in sexual and other minorities; and promoting social change.
Community Health Sciences News
- Published On 7/5/2018Methadone in Primary Care - One Small Step for Congress, One Giant Leap for Addiction Treatment.The New England journal of medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 7/3/2018Health of Infants After ART-Treated, Subfertile, and Fertile Deliveries.Pediatricsread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2018Nontraditional Alcohol and Opioid Agonist Treatment Interventions.The Medical clinics of North Americaread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2018Dietary Protein and Preservation of Physical Functioning Among Middle-Aged and Older Adults in the Framingham Offspring Study.American journal of epidemiologyread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2018Association of State Alcohol Policies With Alcohol-Related Motor Vehicle Crash Fatalities Among US Adults.JAMA internal medicineread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2018The Internist''s Challenge: Addressing Our Patients'' Unhealthy Substance Use.The Medical clinics of North Americaread at PubMed
- Published On 7/1/2018Prevention and Management of Obesity in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder Among Primary Care Pediatricians.Journal of autism and developmental disordersread at PubMed
- Published On 6/29/2018Dyadic stress of breast cancer survivors and their caregivers: Are there differences by sexual orientation?Psycho-oncologyread at PubMed
- Published On 6/27/2018Reasons for Opioid Discontinuation and Unintended Consequences Following Opioid Discontinuation Within the TOPCARE Trial.Pain medicine (Malden, Mass.)read at PubMed
- Published On 6/27/2018Maternal Smoking during Pregnancy and Cord Blood DNA Methylation: New Insight on Sex Differences and Effect Modification by Maternal Folate Levels.Epigeneticsread at PubMed