Program at a Glance
- Online and On Campus
- Part-Time Study
- 16 Credits
- 8–12 Months to Completion
- 17 Core Faculty
- No GRE/GMAT
- Tuition & Fees—Part-Time Study*: $12,040
*Based on 2023–2024 Boston University tuition and fees.
Analyze Big Data to Inform Decision-Making
Available on campus and online, the Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics at Boston University’s Metropolitan College (MET) is designed to provide professionals with the skills required to compete for data analysis jobs amid rising global demand.
Given the tremendous growth of digital data—and the desire of enterprises to derive more and more value from it—data analytics talent is increasingly sought-after by industry. A joint report by PwC and the Business-Higher Education Forum indicates that, by 2021, 69 percent of employers will seek candidates with data science and analytics skills.
BU MET’s Data Analytics graduate certificate program will prepare you to take on roles as a data analyst or data scientist, among other opportunities. The program will explore the intricacies of data analytics and expose you to various topics related to data processing, analysis, and visualization. Along with probability theory and statistical analysis methods and tools, you will learn how to generate relevant visual presentations of data and will examine concepts and techniques for data mining, text mining, and web mining. Those who complete this program will be able to demonstrate solid knowledge of data analytics practices and the methods and tools for data mining and knowledge discovery.
#8, Best Online Master's in Computer Information Technology Programs
MET’s online master’s degrees in computer information technology are ranked #8 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 2024.Learn More
Receive more details about your program of interest.Learn More
Computer Science Career Outlook
Top computer science careers in data science, software development, and other popular areas of IT.Learn more
Why BU Should Be Your Top Choice for Computer Science Graduate Study?
- Recognized & Certified: Boston University is recognized by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security as a Center of Academic Excellence (CAE) in Cyber Defense and Research. BU MET’s information security programs are certified by the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS).
- Active Learning Environment: BU MET’s computer science courses ensure you get the attention you need, while introducing case studies and real-world projects that emphasize technical and theoretical knowledge—combining in-depth, practical experience with the critical skills needed to remain on the forefront of the information technology field. In addition, you have access to BU MET’s Health Informatics Research Lab (HILab), which focuses on collaborative research and development in health informatics, bioinformatics, and clinical research.
- Engaged Faculty: In BU MET’s computer science graduate programs, you benefit from working closely with highly qualified faculty and seasoned industry leaders in a wide range of technology fields who are committed to teaching the latest technologies within the framework of ideas, concepts, and methods that drive innovation.
- Extensive Network: Study alongside peers and professionals with solid IT experience, learn from faculty who have valuable contacts across several sectors, and benefit from an alumni community with strong professional connections.
- 15:1 Class Ratio: Enjoy an exceptional student-to-instructor ratio, ensuring close interaction with faculty and access to support.
- Valuable Resources: Make use of Boston University’s extensive resources, including the Center for Career Development, Educational Resource Center, Fitness & Recreation Center, IT Help Centers, Mugar Memorial Library, Center for Antiracist Research, Howard Thurman Center for Common Ground, George Sherman Union, Rafik B. Hariri Institute for Computing and Computational Science & Engineering, and many others.
- Flexible Options: Study at the pace that works for you, evenings on campus or fully online. Courses begin fall, spring, and summer; online courses have two starts per term.
- Track Record: Learn from the best—BU MET’s Department of Computer Science was established in 1979 and is the longest-running computer science department at BU. Over its four decades, the department has played an important role in the emergence of IT at the University and throughout the region.
Prepare for the Future of Technology with BU MET
The four-course Data Analytics graduate certificate is part of BU MET’s portfolio of computer science and IT graduate programs. For over forty years, the Department of Computer Science at Metropolitan College has prepared students to tackle contemporary challenges in the field. Our programs are uniquely flexible—we offer courses evenings on campus, fully online, or in a blended format that combines online study with occasional campus visits—so you can balance graduate school with your career, family, and other obligations. We take pride in providing training in critical specialization areas and emphasizing practical, insightful, and adaptable knowledge that can be immediately applied on the job while informing your career growth for years to come. We also offer extensive advising to help you identify the subjects you’ll need to achieve your career goals.
Our degree programs are certified by the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS)—the MS in Computer Information Systems has additional accreditation from the Project Management Institute Global Accreditation Center for Project Management Education Programs (GAC) and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Boston University is designated a Center of Academic Excellence (CAE) in Cyber Defense and Research by the National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security.
Gain Expertise in Data Analytics
Metropolitan College’s Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics will equip you with:
- Familiarity with applied probability and statistics, and their relevance in day-to-day data analysis.
- The ability to explore the various data visualization techniques and their applications using real-world data sets.
- An understanding of web analytics and metrics; how to procure and process unstructured text; and hidden patterns.
- Skills in facilitating knowledge discovery using data mining techniques over vast amounts of data.
You can earn the master’s in Computer Information Systems with a concentration in Data Analytics by completing the Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics and the Graduate Certificate in Information Technology, plus two additional courses: Introduction to Probability and Statistics (MET CS 546 ) and either Information Structures with Java (MET CS 520) or Information Structures with Python (MET CS 521). Students currently enrolled in a graduate certificate who are interested in transitioning into a master’s degree should contact their academic advisor to declare their interest in this pathway. A new master’s degree application is not required. Connect with a graduate admissions advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about this option.
Data Analytics Graduate Certificate Curriculum
(Four courses/16 credits)
MET CS 544 Foundations of Analytics and Data Visualization
MET CS 555 Foundations of Machine Learning
MET CS 688 Web Mining and Graph Analytics
MET CS 699 Data Mining
Computer Science Faculty
View all Faculty
Tuition & Financial Assistance
Competitive TuitionOur part-time rates are substantially lower than those of the traditional, full-time residential programs yet provide access to the same high-quality BU education.
Comprehensive Financial AssistanceOur services include scholarships, graduate loans, and payment plans.
How Much Does This Program Cost?
BU MET programs offer the flexibility of part-time study, either on campus or online. Tuition, fees, and total program cost are determined by enrollment status. Course enrollment in this certificate program is 1–2 courses (4–8 credits) in a semester, and tuition is charged the part-time per-credit rate.
Data Analytics Graduate Certificate (Online and On Campus)
|Courses per Semester
|Time to Degree
|Fees per Semester*
|Total Degree Cost*
*Based on 2023–2024 Boston University tuition & fee rates.
**Cost per credit is determined by course number (100–599 = $535/credit, 600–999 = $955/credit).
What to Read Next: MET Computer Science & IT Knowledge Center
- How Long Does a Master’s in Computer Science Take to Complete—and What is the Cost?
- Why Get a Master’s Degree in Computer Science at BU MET?
- What Do My Career Options Look Like with a Master’s in Computer Science from BU’s Metropolitan College?
- Are There Different Computer Science Graduate Programs or Specializations at BU?