English Language Proficiency for International Applicants
English is the language of instruction at Boston University. You must be able to understand rapid, idiomatic English and express yourself clearly in speech and writing.
English Proficiency Exams
International students whose native language is not English must provide official results of the Test of English as a Second Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Test and Required Minimum Score
100 or higher
600 or higher
IELTS – Academic Exam Only
7.0 (total band score)
TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two (2) years from the date of examination. Applicants who do not meet the required minimum score will not be considered for admission.
- If an international applicant’s WES ICAP evaluation states that English was the language of instruction for a completed degree, the TOEFL/IELTS requirement will be waived automatically by SPH Admissions.
- SPH Admissions will also automatically waive the TOEFL/IELTS requirement for International applicants who have earned a previous degree in any of the following countries: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand or Ireland.
- If you do not meet either of the criteria above but believe the TOEFL/IELTS requirement should be waived for you, please submit the following to SPH Admissions:
- A completed TOEFL and IELTS Waiver Request Form.
- Official supporting documentation demonstrating English proficiency.
Only official TOEFL and IELTS score reports will be accepted and must be submitted using the appropriate reporting code. Photocopies of test scores or unofficial records will not be accepted.
Reporting codes for TOEFL and IELTS
Institution Code: 5688*
Dept. Code: Any
Please have a score report sent directly to Admissions.