This program is for students who have completed a bachelor’s degree and have received a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) Verification Statement from an ACEND accredited program. Students are eligible to receive a Master of Science degree upon completing a minimum of 32 credits of coursework at the 700–level and above. Please note the following degree requirements.
- At least 25 credits must be taken as a degree candidate at Boston University.
- A student may complete the academic program on a full- or part-time basis; the DI must be completed on a full-time basis. The entire program must be completed within five years of matriculation.
- The MS degree must be successfully completed before beginning the DI.
- After successful completion of the DI, which includes documentation of the completion of ACEND competencies and the MS+DI program evaluation, the student will receive the DI Verification Statement.
Upon successful completion of the academic portion of the program, you will be awarded a Master of Science degree in Nutrition. Upon successful completion of the Dietetic Internship (including all ACEND competencies and the MS+DI program evaluation) you will receive a Dietetic Internship Verification Statement.
The program requires completion of five core courses plus 12 credits in the clinical concentration and at least 2 credits of a graduate level elective.
Clinical Nutrition Practicum
The Clinical Nutrition Practicum is a required three-credit course in which you will spend 150 hours working with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist or other health care professional. Students have worked in a variety of settings including an outpatient eating disorder program, a nutrition support team, a hospital-based clinical research center, and a wellness center.
The Dietetic Internship (HS 703) is a six-credit, 29-week, full-time course beginning in June or January following successful completion of academic coursework and the graduate degree program. However, if your MS graduation is delayed for any reason (such as a medical leave of absence), the date of the placement in the DI will be based upon dietetic internship site availability. Sargent College has clinical sites at major teaching and community hospitals in the greater Boston area. All offer excellent opportunities to observe and participate in a wide variety of areas of practice. Our DI is accredited by the ACEND. It requires tuition payment plus a nonrefundable $1,000 fee to the internship site. A car may be necessary to travel to your DI site.
Grade Point Average
An overall grade point average of B (3.0) or higher must be attained in graduate courses.
- In graduate courses, no grade below C is acceptable for credit.
- No more than eight credits of C or C+ work will be counted toward the MS degree and the acceptability of such grades in required courses is subject to faculty approval.
- In the event of an unacceptable grade, no course may be repeated more than once.
- SAR HS 811 and HS 789 are graded on a Pass/Fail basis. Pass indicates B– or better work. Other graduate courses must be taken for a letter grade.