Program at a Glance
- Online and On Campus
- Full-Time or Part-Time Study
- 16 Credits
- 9 Months to Completion
- 7 Core Faculty
- No GRE/GMAT
- Tuition & Fees—Part-Time Study*: $15,400
*Based on 2023–2024 Boston University tuition and fees. Merit scholarship may reduce cost.
Excel in Corporate Finance Theory
Available online or on campus, the Graduate Certificate in Corporate Finance at Boston University’s Metropolitan College (MET) is designed for those currently working in, or seeking a career in, the corporate finance field—regarded as one of the most competitive areas within finance. BU MET’s Corporate Finance curriculum will help you acquire the foundational knowledge and tools needed for corporate financial analysis and capital budgeting, offering a unique opportunity to develop your analytical skills and critical-thinking abilities through hands-on coursework and real-world case studies.
The Corporate Finance graduate certificate at BU MET provides a concise set of essential skills for understanding modern corporations, including a strong foundation in corporate financial theory. By acquiring the quantitative skills needed to understand the process behind financial decision-making by corporations, you will be prepared for competitive positions in areas such as budgeting, project evaluation, international financing, and short-term investing of corporate funds.
The Corporate Finance certificate is excellent preparation for the internationally recognized Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA) Program exams, and shares courses with BU MET’s MS in Financial Management, which is part of the CFA Institute University Affiliation Program.
MET's online master's degrees in management are ranked #9 in the nation
2023 U.S. News & World Report RankingsLearn More
Stay connected! Learn more about our program.Learn More
Our master’s in financial management degree is part of the CFA Institute University Affiliation ProgramLearn More
Accredited member of AACSB International
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of BusinessLearn More
“BU MET’s curriculum is incredibly flexible. The faculty are working very hard to make sure that courses prepare our students for the demands of the business world—in the classroom, but also at the drawing board designing courses that provide our students with the necessary skill and knowledge. As a researcher, I am excited by the interdisciplinary approach: collaboration across different programs is encouraged!”—Dr. Alexander Becker, Assistant Professor, Administrative Sciences
Why Earn a Graduate Certificate in Corporate Finance at BU?
- Active Learning Environment: BU MET’s Financial Management program focuses on practical, hands-on education, ensuring you are immersed in all aspects of financial management and related research—education you can apply on the job.
- Engaged Faculty: In BU MET’s Financial Management master’s program, you benefit from working closely with highly qualified faculty who draw from active research and substantial professional achievements in areas such as international finance, financial analysis, portfolio management, systemic risk analysis, investment analysis, mergers and acquisitions, economics, financial markets and institutions, and more.
- Extensive Network: Study principles of finance alongside peers with solid business experience, learn from faculty who have valuable business contacts, and benefit from an alumni community with strong professional connections.
- Exam Preparation: The Corporate Finance curriculum provides excellent preparation for the CFA Program exams. BU MET’s MS in Financial Management is part of the CFA Institute University Affiliation Program.
- Complimentary Analytics Labs: Two levels of self-paced analytics laboratories offer access to advanced tools and provide opportunities to hone analytics skills using cases that are populated with realistic data.
- 15:1 Class Ratio: Enjoy an exceptional student-to-instructor ratio, ensuring close interaction with faculty and access to support.
- Valuable Resources: Make use of Boston University’s extensive resources, including the Center for Career Development, Educational Resource Center, Fitness & Recreation Center, IT Help Centers, Mugar Memorial Library, Center for Antiracist Research, Howard Thurman Center for Common Ground, George Sherman Union, and many others.
- Flexible Options: Study at the pace that works for you, evenings on campus or fully online. Courses begin fall, spring, and summer; online courses have two starts per term.
- Track Record: Learn from the best—since 2014, BU MET’s part-time master’s programs in business and management have been ranked among the top in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Master the Concepts of Global Finance
The Graduate Certificate in Corporate Finance and the MS in Financial Management (MSFM) are available through the Department of Administrative Sciences, which offers a variety of evening and online degrees and certificates to help you remain competitive in business and management and rise to the top of your field. Focusing on providing industry-specific programs that are innovative, scholarly, challenging, interdisciplinary, and practically focused, our mission is to produce critical and innovative thinkers—broad in perspective, international in attitude, skilled in communications—who are competent, capable, and comfortable in their ability to make strategic decisions either alone or in teams, and practiced in using the tools necessary to compete in their specialization. We prepare students to succeed in a global environment, within a professional and ethical framework.
Graduate with Expertise
Metropolitan College’s Corporate Finance graduate certificate will equip you with:
- The ability to analyze financial statements and financial models.
- Skill in performing discounted cash flow analysis and valuation.
- Expertise in calculating net present values and internal rates of return.
- Understanding of investment rules and the ability to make capital investment decisions.
- Proficiency in risk analysis and capital budgeting.
- Understanding of the capital structure of the firm.
- The ability to use econometric methods to analyze financial data.
- The knowledge to analyze industry trends, regulations, and finance system participants.
- Comprehension of the significance and importance of ethical behavior in all aspects of business.
- The capacity to investigate and analyze how changing regulatory environment in the US and abroad impacts finance.
BU MET graduate certificate programs can serve as building blocks to a master’s degree. The Graduate Certificate in Corporate Finance shares specific courses with the MS in Financial Management. To be eligible for the degree, you must apply for admission and be accepted into the degree program. Consult with a graduate admissions advisor to learn more about these options.
Graduate Certificate in Corporate Finance Curriculum
(Four courses/16 credits)
MET AD 630 Financial and Managerial Accounting
Introduction to the concepts, methods, and problems of financial and managerial accounting. Includes data accumulation, accounting principles, financial statement analysis, measurement and disclosure issues, cost analysis, budgeting and control, production costs, and standard costs. [ 4 cr. ]Sum1 2023
|SA1||IND||Mcgue||HAR 228||TR||6:00 pm – 9:30 pm|
|A1||IND||Sam-Kwachie||CAS B06B||M||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A2||IND||Mendlinger||SOC B63||T||12:30 pm – 3:15 pm|
|A3||IND||Rinaldi||CAS 229||W||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A4||IND||Sumani||STH B20||R||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A5||IND||Mendlinger||MCS B33||F||11:15 am – 2:00 pm|
MET AD 678 Financial Regulation and Ethics
Financial Regulation and Ethics is a course designed to thoroughly review the important topics of financial regulations, policies, and ethics. The course will explore an overview of the financial systems, their history, problems, and issues for the purpose of understanding the enactment of regulations as a method to protect the financial systems and investors. Also, regulators and their authority will be identified, both domestically and internationally.
Ethics, an extremely important aspect of finance will be discussed and explored. Ethics is a difficult topic to define and can be impacted by social norms. During the ethics portion of the course, students will study where ethics have failed and caused major issues for the financial marketplace and individual companies. [ 4 cr. ]
|A1||IND||Athaide||STH B22||M||2:30 pm – 5:15 pm|
|A2||IND||Athaide||COM 217||M||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A3||IND||Desmond||EPC 206||T||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A4||IND||Kirwin||EPC 206||W||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A5||IND||Shimer||CAS 227||R||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
MET AD 685 Quantitative Methods for Finance
Finance is a highly competitive and dynamic industry that demands quantitative oriented professionals. This course will equip students with the empirical techniques which are used in the analysis of financial markets with a strong focus on financial applications using actual data.
The goal of this course is to provide students with a number of econometric techniques which are used in the analysis of financial markets based on asset pricing and corporate finance models. In particular, the emphasis will be on classical linear regression models, time series analysis, and limited dependent variable models applied to the following topics: predictability of asset returns; event study analysis; econometric tests of the CAPM and multifactor models; volatility modelling, etc. [ 4 cr. ]
|SA1||IND||Law||CAS 213||TR||6:00 pm – 9:30 pm|
|A1||IND||Villanueva||STH B20||M||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A2||IND||Julio||PSY B55||T||12:30 pm – 3:15 pm|
|A3||IND||Law||CAS 235||T||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A4||IND||Villanueva||MCS B37||W||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A5||IND||Law||STH B22||R||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
MET AD 731 Corporate Finance
Emphasizes issues of accounting, finance, and economics that are important in most management contexts. Stresses understanding financial statements, planning and control, cost and benefit evaluation, cash flow analysis, and capital budgeting. [ 4 cr. ]Sum2 2023
|SB1||IND||Mendlinger||SOC B57||TR||6:00 pm – 9:30 pm|
|A1||IND||Englander||PSY B55||M||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A2||IND||Chee||EPC 206||T||12:30 pm – 3:15 pm|
|A3||IND||Julio||PHO 201||W||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
|A4||IND||Chee||SOC B57||R||12:30 pm – 3:15 pm|
|A5||IND||Barazi||CAS B06B||R||6:00 pm – 8:45 pm|
Financial Management Faculty
View All Faculty
Tuition & Financial Assistance
Competitive TuitionOur part-time rates are substantially lower than those of the traditional, full-time residential programs yet provide access to the same high-quality BU education.
Comprehensive Financial AssistanceOur services include scholarships, graduate loans, and payment plans.
Please visit the BU MET admissions page for details on how to apply, financial assistance, tuition and fees, requirements for international students, and more.
*Chartered Financial Analyst is a registered trademark owned by CFA Institute.
News & Events
June 14th, 2023 at: 6:00pm - 6:45pm
Graduate Admissions Webinar
June 21st, 2023 at: 11:00am - 11:45am
Financing your BU MET Graduate Education (for DOMESTIC students)
June 21st, 2023 at: 6:30pm - 7:30pm
Graduate Admissions Information Session – In Person