Owen Purnomo’s (SHA’25) Summer Internship at a Michelin Star Restaurant

Owen Purnomo (SHA’25) was given the opportunity to intern at Ze Kitchen Galerie, a Michelin Star Restaurant in the heart of Paris, France. He works under Chef William Ledeuil, a renowned chef in Paris and around the world. In his first year at SHA, Purnomo has begun exploring his passion for hospitality and the restaurant industry as he focuses on his career ahead. Read more to learn about Purnomo and his time working in the heart of France’s food scene. 

Where are you originally from and what made you decide to come to BU? 

I am originally from Bandung, Indonesia. I decided to come to BU because of what BU has to offer. BU offers many different opportunities and a diverse community which is not like any other place. I believe that the BU community is the perfect place to grow, explore and thrive as a person.

What are you studying here in SHA and do you do any extracurricular activities? 

I will be studying hospitality with a concentration in marketing. Making a good dish is one thing, but selling it is a whole other game. In my free time, I play golf, exercise on a daily and hike. I  started picking up jiu-jitsu which is a journey I am very excited about! 

How has your time at SHA helped you to achieve your goals in the restaurant industry?

I am truly excited that SHA will be able to help me grow on the business side of the restaurant industry. I believe that the opportunities and open-mindedness the school offers will help me achieve my dream one day! Which is to get my own Michelin star and write my own cooking books, inspiring many others.

Where have you worked in the past that has helped you get where you are now? Are there any specific positive or negative aspects of those jobs? 

In the past, I have worked for a restaurant called Les Foodies and Nhomade both located in Paris too. Finding mentors in the kitchen has truly helped me learn and get to where I am today. The positive side of this job is that you get to make everybody smile with your work, and I would say that if you are truly passionate about what you are doing the positives camouflages the negatives.

How did you find out about this internship at  Ze Kitchen Galerie and what do you think helped you stand out from other applicants? 

With the help of social media; the world is so connected now! Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, and many other media have helped me find this internship at Ze Kitchen Galerie. What helped me stand out from all the others applicants was the diversity and experience I had. Having studied and worked in many different places and speaking multiple languages, made me instantly connect with the chef during my interviews and fit perfectly in the working dynamics of the team.

What do you do as an intern at Ze Kitchen Galerie? 

I am truly lucky to be interning in Ze Kitchen Galerie, as an Intern I get to work side by side with the Chef and Sous-chef. They truly care and train their interns very well. On the daily, I learn how to butcher many different kinds of meats and fish, cook different fruits and vegetables, and work with many different kinds of exceptional products. But that’s is not all, the chef teaches me how to think logically and creatively to create and plate dishes according to the seasons. Exposure to many different exotics products and having menu changes every day have taught me to be flexible and think outside of the box.

What have you learned so far from working in a Michelin Star Restaurant? 

I have learned that to create exceptional dishes, exceptional preparation and execution are most important. Hard work, discipline, creativity and fun are what defines a Michelin Star restaurant. Chef always reminds us to work hard but also to have fun! 

What do you hope to do after college and how will this internship help you reach your goals? 

After college, I hope to open my restaurants and hopefully get to write my own recipes books. This internship has open my mind to many new experiences and it has built a solid foundation for me to achieve my goals.

Can you give any advice to other students looking to break into the restaurant world? What would you recommend students do to jumpstart their careers? 

My advice for those who are looking to break into the restaurant world is to find a good mentor. Finding a good mentor is a jumpstart to your career. My mentors have given me a solid foundation that is not only applicable in the kitchen but also in other aspects of life. 

What is the most interesting thing you have learned from Chef William Ledeuil? 

Chef William Ledeuil is truly inspiring, he is the greatest mentor I have ever had in the Kitchen. The most interesting thing about Chef is that he truly believes that one way to change the world for the better is to change the way we eat. His menus are crafted around products that are bio, organic and local. By using products like this, he helps the world’s environment and economy. Also, Chef William Ledeuil hates food waste! Throwing away food is a big crime in his kitchen. Being dynamic and responsible is the lesson I will forever cherish from Chef William Ledeuil.

Connect with Owen on LinkedIn.

Follow Owen on Instagram.