What to Bring
The 2023 High School Programs were a great success. Please check back on December 15 for details about next summer’s program and to submit an application. Sign up for an email reminder.
Congratulations on being accepted to Boston University’s Summer Term High School Programs!
If you are staying on campus, we have prepared a list of furnishings in each dorm room as well as a list of what you should bring to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
In each dorm room, you will find:
- A dresser for each student
- A desk and chair for each student
- A bed frame and mattress for each student
- A closet or wardrobe for each student
What you should bring:
- Identification. Bring a government issued photo ID (passport, driver’s license, or driver’s permit) or a high school ID card and birth certificate.
- Items for class. Bring a notebook and writing implements for your seminars.
- Students enrolled in the Summer Challenge Photography seminar should also bring a DSLR camera with manual features, along with an SD media card (32 GB or more) and an external hard drive for a Mac.
- RISE Practicum students are asked to bring a laptop (Windows, Mac, or Linux) with at least 10GB of free space, 4 GB of RAM, a 64-bit x86 system architecture, and the ability to install custom software. Please note that Chromebooks do not have the capacity to run the required software. More information will be provided on our enrollment portal. Our office may be able to facilitate laptop rentals for students who do not have one. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- Fans. Rooms are not air-conditioned and get very warm during the summer.
- Linens. Bring your own sheets, blankets, towels, and pillows. The beds in the dorm are all sized twin extra-long (80 inches long).
- Personal items. We recommend flip-flops for showering along with a shower caddy to carry your toiletries to the bathroom. Sunblock is very important for our outdoor activities. Personal hygiene items can be purchased at stores on campus.
- Hangers for your clothes.
- Other appliances. You may also want to bring a desk lamp and an alarm clock. Note: Hot pots, microwaves, and air-conditioners are not allowed in the dorm. Items like blow dryers and curling irons are permitted. MicroFridges (combined microwave and refrigerator units) are available for rent from BU (rental forms are available at check-in).
- Phone and internet. There is no in-room telephone service, so we recommend that you bring a mobile phone. Computers are available on campus. If you choose to bring your own computer, wireless internet access is available in the dorm and across the entire campus. You might consider bringing a lock for your laptop.
- Miscellaneous items. You may also need an umbrella and rain gear, laundry bag and laundry detergent, water bottle, and a flash drive for your assignments.
Note: Students who do not bring a working mobile phone must be with another student who has a working phone any time they travel off campus. We strongly encourage international students to bring a mobile phone that operates in the United States.
Dress is casual. Please bring a pair of sneakers/walking shoes and a nice outfit for the dance and final presentations (if applicable). If you will be working in a laboratory, bring appropriate lab attire, such as closed-toe shoes and long pants/skirt. The RISE Poster Symposium requires business casual attire.