Wippl Recounts Lessons Learned Reviewing Works by CIA Colleagues

Joseph Wippl, Professor of the Practice of International Relations at Boston University’s Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies, published an article in the International Journal of Intelligence and CounterIntelligence in which he discusses the experience of reviewing works by his former colleagues at the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). 

In the article, titled “Reviewing CIA Colleagues,” Wippl talks about how reviewing these booksGood Hunting: An American Spymaster’s Story, The Agency and the Hill, The Fourth Man, and many more – taught him a lot about intelligence and where he stands on the issues described and considered by the various authors.

An excerpt:

Truly, my views run through these book reviews. For instance, I believe in intelligence as an essential matter for the United States and Western and global security. I love and loved the CIA. I support and respect expertise… I believe in intelligence for the policymaker to understand the world based on the facts as best as we can know and establish these facts. And I admire the teamwork between spouses in serving the government of the United States.

The full article can be read on the International Journal of Intelligence and CounterIntelligence‘s website.

Joseph Wippl is a former CIA officer. He spent a 30-year career as an operations officer in the National Clandestine Service (NCS). On assignments in CIA headquarters, he served as the Deputy Chief of Human Resources, as the Senior NCS representative to the Aldrich Ames Damage Assessment Team, as Chief of Europe Division, and as the CIA’s Director of Congressional Affairs. Prior to his arrival at Boston University, he occupied the Richard Helms Chair for Intelligence Collection in the NCS training program. Wippl has taught at BU since 2006, and speaks and writes widely on issues regarding intelligence. Read more about him on his Pardee School faculty profile