Student Spotlight: Alnuaimi Interns at United Nations

Majid1

Majid Alnuaimi, MA candidate in International Relations and International Communication, recently completed an internship at the United Nations which culminated in his attending the 71st General Assembly of the United Nations (UNGA71).

Alnuaimi worked in the United Arab Emirates office, specifically with the the head of the media team for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), coordinating schedules and news releases. He also was part of the Youth Delegation where he got to participate in the Youth Circle on Sustainability and Development and hear from  Minister of Climate Change and Environment for the United Arab Emirates His Excellency Thani Ahmed Al-Zeyoudi.

“As part of my internship I was lucky enough to also attend meetings with the Ministers and learn from His Excellency’s experience,” Alnuaimi said. “Seeing them interact and speak is alone an honor and a learning experience by itself.”

According to Alnuaimi, his classes at the Pardee School provided him with the necessary preparation for the work he did during his internship and time at UNGA71.

“The classes gave me a very good background on the real-world and provided enough background and preparation for work,” Alnuaimi said. “Thankfully we have excellent professors who simulate the classes like the real world, and we are put in situations and practices that are very similar to what is out there and as I experienced it benefited me a lot in my experience.”

Alnuaimi said his internship also provided excellent opportunity in terms of networking, and allowed him to experience a wide range of potential career paths which helped to prepare him for life after graduation.

“I think the internship prepared me for what I seek after graduation and in terms of finding a job, one thing we worry about before graduating is what is the next step and the internship helped me figure out what I will be doing next,” Alnuaimi said. “I really recommend students to intern whenever they get the chance because you never know what the experience holds for you and how it can guide you to what you want and give you a clearer image.”