Student Spotlight: Paige Wins Fellowship

JamesPaige2

James Paige (Pardee ’18) has been awarded the American Research Institute in Turkey Summer Fellowship for Intensive Advanced Turkish Language Study at Boğaziçi University in Instanbul. 

With the award, Paige will be able to take advanced literature and writing courses through the Turkish Language and Culture Program at Boğaziçi University.

“My immediate reaction was joy and excitement at the opportunity to further my language abilities. Receiving this award really reaffirms the effectiveness and success of the Turkish Department at Boston University,” Paige said. “I have only studied Turkish for a year and a half, but thanks to Professor  Roberta Micallef and Esra Özdemir’s teaching, I’m in a great position to begin tackling upper level literature and academic writing.”

Paige said with a better understanding of the Turkish language, he will be able to complete more intensive research for his thesis.

“I hope to be able to read older academic works with ease and speed in order to facilitate in-depth research for my honors thesis,” Paige said.

Paige said the chance to spend an extended amount of time in Turkey will be an opportunity to immerse himself in the language outside of a classroom setting.

“I am most looking forward to the immersion aspect of the program,” Paige said. “By simply hearing the language spoken on the street or written on a billboard, it will be the perfect environment for picking up on the subtleties and nuances of the Turkish language. Furthermore, I am looking forward to having access to Turkish libraries and bookstores where I can conduct research to my heart’s content.”