Student Records & Registration


  1. Consult the Boston University Bulletin.
  2. Review the Class Search in the MyBU Portal.
  3. Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor. Your advisor will assist you with adding the appropriate courses to your Schedule Builder.
  4. Register on the MyBU Student Portal by adding courses to your Shopping Cart.
Undergraduate Academic Advisors
  • School of Music: Barbara Raney,, SOM office suite room 246
  • School of Theatre: Molly Kacerosky,, room 422
  • School of Visual Arts: Beth Zerega,, room 552

More registration Information can be found here.

    Transfer Credits

    Students who wish to complete liberal arts coursework outside of Boston University must obtain approval from the appropriate academic department in order to transfer the credits through the Transfer Course Equivalency. Approval should be requested at least four weeks prior to registering for the transfer course.

    Courses equating to CFA courses, or transfer courses related to the student’s academic/artistic discipline, must receive approval from the appropriate school via the CFA Petition Form.

    Advanced Credit

    Students who have taken Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations may be eligible to receive advanced credit. Test scores should be sent directly to Boston University from the testing center.

    Download the Advanced Credit Guide.

    Graduation Information

    Students will be contacted by an academic administrator in the semester prior to graduation to go over remaining requirements. This meeting serves as an indicator of the student’s remaining requirements. Students must also complete a graduation application.

    University Commencement information and procedures are available at the BU Commencement website.

    Leave of Absence and Withdrawal

    • Undergraduate students wishing to take a leave of absence or to withdraw from BU must contact the University Service Center.
    • Graduate students should contact the Student Records Manager, Mary Ducharme in the CFA Dean’s Office in order to arrange for a leave of absence or withdrawal.
    • International students must contact ISSO prior to taking any other action.
    • Leaves of absence may be granted for a maximum of two semesters.

    Statute of Limitations for School of Music Graduate Programs

    • Master of Music: All programs for the degree Master of Music must be completed within five years from the date of matriculation.
      Performance Diploma: All programs for the degree Performance Diploma must be completed within five years from the date of matriculation.
      Doctor of Musical Arts: All programs for the degree Doctor of Musical Arts must be completed within seven years from the date of matriculation.

    Requests for extensions of time beyond the five- or seven-year limit must be made by petition, in consultation with your advisor, to the Director of Graduate Studies. When granted, extensions may be given for only one year at a time. Extensions of time will be granted only in cases where there is clear evidence of progress towards successful completion of the degree, and where the student can demonstrate extraordinary reason for requesting an extension, such as illness, personal emergency, or the particular nature of the research project. No more than two one-year extensions will be granted to DMA students.

    Incomplete Grades

    An incomplete grade (“I”) is used only when the student has conferred with the instructor prior to the submission of grades and there are mutually acceptable reasons for the incomplete work. The instructor and student must sign a joint statement indicating the nature of the work and the date by which the work must be completed. If the work is not completed within 12 months of the last day of instruction in the semester in which the “I” grade is given, then the grade is permanently changed to an “F” grade.

    Course Overload Authorization

    Undergraduate students wishing to take more than 18 credits may fill out a form to request overload authorization. Authorization is granted by the student’s advisor based on academic standing and course content and processed in the Dean’s Office.

    • Freshmen may take up to 18 credits. Freshmen who earn above a 3.3 or higher GPA in the fall semester may take up to 20 credits in the spring with advisor’s approval and overload approval form.
    • Sophomores and Juniors may take up to 18 credits without authorization. Sophomores and Juniors with a 3.0 or higher GPA may fill out an overload approval form with advisor’s signature to take beyond 18 credits, up to 20.
    • Seniors may take up to 20 credits without authorization.


    CFA students may declare a minor in a variety of subjects offered throughout the University. Students must meet with the minor advisor in the intended course of study and fill out the minor declaration form.