Courses & Resources for the Boston University Community
The College of Fine Arts offers seven minors that are available to all Boston University students:
Sophomores who have achieved a 3.0 GPA or higher may be eligible to complete a dual degree between CFA and another college at BU. Students must meet with the dual degree advisor in the CFA Dean’s Office as well as an academic representative of the secondary college to plan an appropriate schedule. The Dual Degree Program is a rigorous course of study, requiring superior time-management skills. The program typically requires five years to complete; however, students may shorten this time by using transfer credits, AP and IB scores, and semester course overloads. Students outside of CFA will need to audition and/or have portfolio review for admission into DDP. Click here for details.
Courses Open to BU Students
Each semester, CFA offers OVER FIFTY one, two, three, and four credit courses open to the BU Community!
As a Boston University student you can take courses in subjects like guitar, drawing, and acting, or minor in music, theatre visual arts, dance, or arts leadership.
*Other classes may be open to non-majors with permission of the faculty.
Individuals who are 58 and older may also enroll in courses not for credit through the Boston University Evergreen Program.
School of Music
Courses for Non-Majors
- CFA ME 171 A1 Brass Class 1 cr
- CFA ME 172 A1 Percussion Class 1 cr
- CFA MH 105 Music Appreciation 2 cr
- CFA MH 336 Musical Cultures of the World 3 cr
- CFA MH 342 Masterpieces of Opera 4 cr
- CFA MH 354 Popular Music: Funk 3 cr
- CFA MH 436 Musical Cultures of the World 4 cr
- CFA MH 441 Jewish Music 4 cr
- CFA MH 561 World Music Ensemble var. cr
- CFA MP 111 Group Piano 1 1 cr
- CFA MP 112 Group Piano 2 1 cr
- CFA MP 113 Group Piano 3 1 cr
- CFA MP 130 Class Voice 1 cr
- CFA MP 180 Group Guitar 1 cr
- CFA MP 563 Trombone Choir 1 cr
- CFA MP 602 BU Wind Ensembles 1 cr
- CFA MT 105 A1, B1 Elements of Music Theory 4 cr
- CFA MT 435 Composing with Electronic Sounds & Computers 2 cr
School of Theatre
- CFA TH 101 Intro to Aesthetics & Dramatic Literature 3 cr
- CFA TH 110 A1 Speech Communications 4 cr
- CFA TH 120 A1, B1, C1 Acting & Performance 1 4 cr
- CFA TH 130 A1 Movement for Theatre 1 4 cr
- CFA TH 140 A1 Collaborative Theatre Ensemble 4 cr
- CFA TH 201 Dramatic Literature 2: 1850- 1950 3 cr
- CFA TH 220 A1 Acting & Performance 2 4 cr
- CFA TH 430 B1 Film/Television Lab 2 cr*
- CFA TH 505 A1 Dramatic Criticism 1 2 cr*
* Permission Required for BU Community. Contact the School of Theatre at 617-353-3390. Note that not all courses may be offered each semester.
Design & Production
- CFA TH 149 A1 Stagecraft for Theatre Minors 1 cr (Theatre minors only)
- CFA TH 163 A1 Drafting 1 1 cr
- CFA TH 263 A1 Scene Design 1 3 cr
- CFA TH 269 A1 Technical Production 1 3 cr
- CFA TH 275 A1 Costume Design 1 3 cr
- CFA TH 283 A1 Lighting Design 1 3 cr
- CFA TH 287 A1 Sound Design 1 3 cr
- CFA TH 555 History of Theatre 1 3 cr
- CFA TH 556 History of Theatre 2 3 cr
* Permission Required for BU Community. Contact the School of Theatre at 617-353-3390.
School of Visual Arts
- CFA AR 123 A1 Fundamentals of Design* 2 cr
- CFA AR 192 Intro to Drawing 4 cr
- CFA AR 193 Visual Arts Drawing 4 cr
- CFA AR250 Introduction to Printmaking * 4 cr
- CFA AR251 Introduction to Printmaking * 2 cr
- CFA AR 270 Bookmaking Techniques 2 cr
- CFA AR 295 Visual Arts: Painting 1 4 cr
- CFA AR 415 Photography 1* 4 cr
- CFA AR 425 Artist and the Book * 4 cr
- CFA AR 447 Printmaking: Etching and Monotype* 4 cr
- CFA AR 448 Printmaking: Lithography and Relief * 4 cr
- CFA AR 470 Ceramics 1* 4 cr
- CFA AR 471 Ceramics 1* 2 cr
- CFA AR 508, The Experimental Photograph* 4 cr
- CFA AR 515 Digital Photography* 4 cr
- CFA AR 521 Site Specific Art 4 cr
- CFA AR 580 History of Graphic Design 4 cr
- CFA AR 581 Web Design *4 cr
* Courses open to the BU community at the conclusion of the registration period (exact date is in the “notes” section for each course on the University Class Schedule on the Student Link). No permission required after that date.
The Visual Arts Minor is designed for students who want an introduction to the concepts and functions of the visual arts offered in a professional training program.