Continuing Students

Students currently enrolled in a Boston University degree program are encouraged to check with their school/college for specific registration requirements.  Non-degree students will follow Metropolitan College’s guide for registration.

  1. Confirm your registration start date and time.
  2. View the University Class Schedule to determine which courses you would like to register for.
  3. Meet with your academic advisor (if your school/college requires advising or restricts online registration)
  4. Log in to the Student Link and confirm you have met all requirements for registration.
  5. Use the Registration Planner to choose classes and start planning your schedule before your registration date/time!
  6. Browse through the Registrar’s website to read important information on the University’s Legal Notice on student financial obligation, adding/dropping classes, withdrawals and leaves of absence, and more.

Returning Students

Students who have taken a leave or had a period of absence from Boston University while pursuing a degree program will contact their school/college’s advising office for assistance with returning to the University.

Students wishing to return after previously completing a degree at Boston University will retain their original BU ID and follow Metropolitan College’s guide for registration; students will continue as non-degree seeking until they’ve applied and been accepted into a degree program.

New Students

Students who are taking classes for the first time at Boston University and have been accepted into a degree program will contact the advising office of the school/college offering their major.  Students attending BU as non-degree seeking will follow Metropolitan College’s guide for registration until they’ve applied and been accepted into a degree program.

Students interested in taking classes at Boston University during one of the summer sessions will contact Summer Term for registration information.

BU Employees seeking to participate in Boston University’s Tuition Remission benefit must register for course(s) before applying for this benefit through BuWorks Central; contact Human Resources for information on this and other employee resources.

Adding/Dropping Classes

Registered students can adjust their schedules using the Student Link, or by submitting an Add / Drop Form, during the registration and add/drop period on a seats-available basis. In most cases, to add a class that is full or closed, the instructor’s signature is required on an Add/Drop Form.

Add/Drop forms can be found in the school/college administrative offices, CAS departments, and the Office of the University Registrar.

Eligible students may use the Student Link to drop classes until the deadline for dropping with a ‘W’ grade; students are encouraged to consult with their school/college and the office of Financial Assistance to discuss the implications of dropping a class.