Field Orientation Resource Page (Education)
The page below contains links to relevant resources for students. Please bookmark this page in your web browser. It will be updated and expanded regularly. It is organized in the following categories:
- Essential Supports and Resources
- COVID Related Resources
- DESE Related Materials
- MTEL And Licensure
- BU Protection of Minors AND Field Site Background Checks
- Sonia Field Database
Essential Supports and Resources
- Professional Preparation Office Resources
- BU Wheelock Field Policies: Applicable to all field programs at BU Wheelock
- BU Wheelock Safety Resources for Field Placement
- BU Wheelock and University-wide Student Supports
- BU Center for Career Development Resources
- International Student Services and Scholars (ISSO) Office: For international students who will be completing fieldwork as part of their academic program
- Read about Curricular Practical Training
COVID Related Resources
- Back to BU: Full set of COVID related policies, procedures and resources for the entire University.
- BU Wheelock COVID Related Safety Resources for Field Placement: Resource for students. Includes list of checkpoints for students to cover with their field site.
- BU COVID Vaccination Information: The most up-to-date information on BU’s vaccination policies and procedures.
DESE Related Materials
- CAP Dashboard: CAP guidelines and the most up-to-date CAP forms and rubrics. Always use this link to access CAP related materials.
- CAP Annotated Overview: Organizer with links to required and recommended forms as well as brief descriptions of each form and how they fit within the CAP process.
- DESE CAP Minimum Requirements: Snapshot of the DESE CAP minimum requirements for teacher candidates. Important: academic programs may exceed the DESE minimum. Please consult with your program’s faculty about program specific expectations.
MTEL And Licensure
- How to Create a Profile in ELAR and Obtain a MEPID: User-friendly guide on how to set up the Educator Licensure and Recruitment (ELAR) account and obtain your Massachusetts Education Personnel ID (MEPID), which is required for MTEL and for OPP to endorse you for licensure.
- Endorsement and Reciprocity: overview on the licensure endorsement process and information to obtain licensure out-of-state via reciprocity (scroll down on page).
- MA Licensure Requirements Tool: DESE’s self-guided resource to determine MA state requirements for a particular license.
- How to Apply for a License in ELAR: step-by-step guide on the licensure application process via ELAR.
- MTEL Information and Materials: links to online test registration; test preparation materials; and alternative testing arrangements.
- For questions, contact email@example.com.
BU Protection of Minors AND Field Site Background Checks
Please Bookmark This Resource Page and review these links:
- Overarching Questions: points out the difference between BU Protection of Minors policy and field site background checks.
- Summary Chart: provides a birds-eye view of what is needed
- Action Flow Chart: breaks down the process into action steps
- Essential Tips: provides key information you need to know to support this process
- Protection of Minors FAQ 1d and 1h-i explains the BU POM requirements (x2) and how to submit them once they are completed
- MA CORI FAQ 2f outlines the steps to complete the field site CORI and ID verification
- Fingerprint FAQ 3d explains what to do if you previously completed a fingerprint for a MA public school… and FAQ 3f explains how to proceed if you did not
- Note: This bullet applies to students in MA public schools.
Sonia Field Database
- Sonia Online: Link to log into Sonia: Link to log into Sonia. Use your BU Kerberos username and password.
- How to Log into Sonia (pdf with pictures)
- How to Log Hours in Sonia(video)
- How to Log Hours in Sonia (pdf with pictures)
- Sonia Timesheet Guidelines – Students (pdf with resources)