BU Protection of Minors (POM) AND Field Site Background Checks
TO: All students who will be in field placement this semester including job related and out of state placements
All Students MUST….
Read the Overarching Questions below
Review this Action Flow Chart (CLICK HERE)
Review the bullets under Important Notes in FAQ 1d
1. Are the BU Protection of Minors (POM) policy and field site background checks the same thing?
NO! Criminal background checks are state mandated procedures that allow an organization to review an individual’s available criminal history. POM is a University-wide policy and set of requirements that (a) educate BU students on signs of child neglect/abuse and reporting obligations, and (b) document BU student compliance with site background check policy and procedure. See FAQ 1d for more information about the BU POM requirements
NOTE: POM applies to job-related placements as well (see FAQ 1k)
(SUMMARY CHART: BU POM and FIELD SITE BACKGROUND CHECKS): provides a snapshot of what is required and the order that they normally occur.
2. How do I know if I am all set with the BU POM requirements?
- Log-in to the Sonia Field Data System with your Kerberos username/password;
- Click the Checks tab;
- If you see “cleared” marked in green highlight, then that requirement is all set (no further action needed).
3. Do I need to complete background checks for my site if I already completed the BU POM?
YES! The POM is a BU policy and, in contrast, background checks are state mandated procedures. As a welcome guest in the field, you are always obligated to abide by all site policies in a timely manner before your placement begins.
NOTE: If you are continuing your field placement at the same organization or if you are not working with minors, you may be all set but just to be sure, double check with your field site.
IMPORTANT: Inability to complete your site background checks in a timely manner may create a delay in your placement. You can ask your field site if they will allow you to begin if your checks are in process and you are always in the presence of site staff (i.e., never left alone with minors). Ultimately it is the site’s decision and all BU students must abide by their site’s policies and procedures. If there are delays, please notify your placement coordinator and/or assigned BU supervisor.
4. How do I know which field site background checks are needed?
ALWAYS ask your field site’s administration (e.g., the front office) or human resources office. If you are unsure of who to ask, then see if your site supervisor can point you in the right direction. Public school placements in Massachusetts require the CORI and fingerprint, but other settings may have different requirements.
TO REITERATE: You are always obligated to abide by all site policies, so please be sure to ask and act in a timely manner.
- See the Essential Tips and FAQs in the left-side navigation bar for general information and guidance.
- Students in ED200 and in SO210/211 need to wait for guidance from their course instructor.
5. How can I complete the BU POM requirements if I don’t have my field placement yet?
You need to wait. Save this information for future reference. When you receive your field placement, you will be well positioned to act in a timely way. The one thing you can and should complete now if you have not done so already is the POM Online Training Module (see FAQ 1d and 1i).
BU Wheelock Field Policies and Placement Standards
Sonia Field Database
Sonia is the field placement data system that BU Wheelock uses to manage all field placements. Sonia is also the official timesheet keeping system for students in field placement to keep track of their hours. Below are some helpful “How To” resources to support your use of the Sonia timesheets.
- Sonia Online
- How to Log into Sonia.
- How to Log Hours in Sonia (PDF with Pictures)
- How to Log Hours In Sonia (Video)
- Sonia Timesheet Guidelines – Students