Preparing Professionals with the Skills They Need

Obtaining licensure is a critical step for BU Wheelock students who seek to become professional educators or counselors when they complete their degree. BU Wheelock’s Professional Preparation Office provides direct support to students pursuing licensure for careers in fields such as education and counseling. No matter what a student’s professional goal, they will be fully prepared to navigate the sometimes long and complex process of obtaining their their licensure.

Licensing Disclosures

BU Wheelock offers programs leading to licensure at the graduate level. Students in licensure programs or interested in obtaining licensure should review the Wheelock College of Education & Human Development Educator Preparation Programs Licensing Disclosure. This document provides information about BU Wheelock state-approved programs and how the educational requirements compare with those in other states.

Educator Licensure: Massachusetts

To teach in Massachusetts public schools, educators must be licensed by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in the field, role, and grade level of the license sought. Levels of licensure in Massachusetts include the provisional, initial, and the professional license.

To be eligible for the initial license, applicants must complete a state-approved educator preparation program. Boston University offers programs approved by the state at the graduate (postbaccalaureate) levels only. For more information, visit Massachusetts-Approved Educator Preparation Programs.

For helpful information about taking the MTELs, visit 6 Tips for Managing MTELs.

Educator Licensure: Other States

Completing the BU-approved program should satisfy the approved preparation program requirement for teaching in other states. While many states will accept out-of-state educator preparation programs, they have additional requirements that may include (1) having a Massachusetts teaching license first and (2) passing that state’s licensure exams. Specific information on select states follows, but we strongly encourage applicants to contact that state’s respective education department/licensing agency to ensure all requirements are met.