Frequently Asked Questions
- What year do I need to be entering in fall 2015 to participate in the High School Honors Program?
We consider applicants entering their junior or senior year of high school in fall 2015. Qualified juniors need to be in Honors and/or AP courses and have taken either the PSAT, SAT, ACT, or PLAN standardized test to be considered.
- Is this a commuter or residential program?
Most students live in the dormitory; however, students can commute as part of the High School Honors Program.
- Can international students participate?
International students are eligible to participate in the High School Honors Program. They need to obtain an F-1 student visa in order to enroll. Please see the International High School Students page for more information.
- Where can I get an application for the High School Honors Program?
Applications are available on the How to Apply page.
- How many students attend High School Honors?
Approximately 100 students attend the High School Honors Program. Students live and participate in social activities with Research Internship in Science & Engineering (RISE) students which when combined total nearly 200 students.
- Is there a specific format for the teacher and counselor recommendation letters?
Yes, you can find the Teacher and Counselor Recommendation Form on our website.
- What if I have not yet taken the PSAT, SAT, ACT, or PLAN?
A PSAT, SAT, ACT, or PLAN standardized test score is required for admission. International students are also expected to submit one of these test scores.
- What are the admissions criteria?
The most attention is given to your high school transcript and standardized test scores. Students last year had an average 3.79 unweighted GPA and 1970 SAT score. Positive recommendations, involvement in extracurricular activities, and a well-written personal statement are also taken into account.
- Can I check to see if my application is complete?
We will send you an email confirmation once your application is complete. You may also call our office at 617-353-1378 or email us at email@example.com to check your application status.
- How long after I send in my application should I expect a response?
We typically email admission decisions within three weeks of receipt of your completed application.
- Once I am accepted into the High School Honors Program, am I required to go to the program? Is acceptance binding?
Acceptance is not binding. You can either accept or decline our offer of admission. We ask that you inform us of your decision as soon as possible after you receive your acceptance packet.
- What courses will be offered in the 2015 High School Honors Program?
Click here to view a full list of over 90 courses.
- What is the schedule for classes in the High School Honors Program?
Your schedule depends on the courses you choose. Please visit A Day in the Life-Residential or A Day in the Life-Commuter to get a feel for what your schedule will be like. You can find the days and times of courses listed at the end of each course description.
- How long is each class meeting in the High School Honors Program?
Class times vary in length depending on how many days per week they meet. The hours each class meets are listed at the end of each course description.
- How many courses do High School Honors students take?
High School Honors residential students take two courses. Commuter students can opt to enroll in either one or two courses for a minimum of 4 credits. International students are required to enroll in two courses for 8 credits.
- How many credits do High School Honors students earn?
High School Honors residential students can earn between 6 and 8 credits. Commuter students can earn between 4 and 8 credits depending on the number and type of courses they take.
- What is the cost of the High School Honors Program?
Please see the Tuition, Fees, & Aid page for a detailed description of the cost of attending the High School Honors Program.
- Is there financial aid available?
Yes, limited financial aid is available. Please note that awards cover partial tuition only and are based on a combination of need and academic merit. Please click here to learn how to apply for financial aid. Commuter students who enroll in one four-credit course and international students are not eligible for financial aid.
- How do I pay?
There are several methods of payment for the High School Honors Program. Please see How to Pay for a detailed description of your options.
- Do you offer any SAT preparation courses during the summer?
No, we do not offer SAT preparation courses.
- Will the credits I earn in the High School Honors Program be transferable?
Most colleges will accept Boston University credit. You should speak directly with schools you may attend for confirmation.
- Do you take students to visit other colleges?
No, we do not travel as a group to visit area colleges, but you may arrange your own visits within the Boston area during your free time. We do offer a college workshop with our Office of Admissions.
- Is there a curfew?
Yes. Students must be in the dorm by 11 pm during the week (Sunday through Thursday) and midnight on weekends (Friday and Saturday). Students are then free to visit with friends in the common areas on the fourth floor until 1 am during the week (Sunday through Thursday) and 2 am on weekends (Friday and Saturday).
- Are students free to leave campus?
We arrange a planned activity once per weekend and a few additional activities throughout the six weeks to help students get to know each other, the campus, and Boston. All planned activities are mandatory. However, during free time students can leave campus as long as they have at least one other High School Honors or Research Internship student with them and let a Program Assistant know they are leaving. All students must be back in the dorm by curfew or the planned activity.
- Can a parent visit a student during the program?
If a parent or guardian is in town and would like to spend time with his or her son or daughter or if the student would like to visit relatives or family friends within city limits, it must be scheduled during the student's free time when there are no activities planned. The student must return to the dorm by curfew. In addition, the student’s parent or guardian must submit written permission to the Summer Term High School Programs office at least 48 hours before the student is planning to leave campus. The parent or guardian can email a letter of permission to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter should include details about the visit, such as the time that the student will leave and return to campus and the cell phone number of the relative or family friend the student will be with. A student is authorized to leave once our office sends the student's parent or guardian a confirmation email.
- Can a student visit relatives or family friends in the Boston area during the program?
Students are able to visit relatives or family friends within city limits. The visit must be scheduled during the student's free time when there are no activities planned. The student must return to the dorm by curfew. In addition, the parent or guardian must send written permission to the Summer Term High School Programs office via email to email@example.com at least 48 hours before the student is planning to leave campus. The letter should include details about the visit, including when the student plans to leave campus, who the student will be visiting, the location of the visit, and the time the student will return to campus. A student is authorized to leave once our office sends the student's parent or guardian a confirmation email.
- What is the schedule of activities for the High School Honors Program?
You can see a sample schedule of activities on the Schedule of Social Events page. A full schedule for summer 2015 will be emailed to participants one week before the program begins.
- Is there a fee for visiting the Student Health Services Center?
Yes, there is a $25 co-pay fee each time a student visits the Student Health Services Center.
- Who can I contact at Boston University if I have more questions?
We are happy to help you. You can find all of our information on the Contact Us page.