High School Honors: How to Apply
If you are academically motivated and entering your junior or senior year of high school in fall 2021, we invite you to apply. Qualified juniors need to be in Honors and/or AP courses.
Admission decisions take into consideration your high school grades, rigor of courses taken, standardized test scores (optional for summer 2021), personal statement, and two letters of recommendation.
English is the language of instruction at BU and a high degree of competency is assumed. International students need to submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or an equivalent exam. Our program requires students to have minimum English proficiency levels equivalent to:
- 90–100 on the internet-based TOEFL (iBT) with a minimum of 20 in each section
- 7 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
If you are not able to obtain a TOEFL or IELTS score due to the closing of testing centers, you may submit a Duolingo score this year. High School Honors students are expected to score above a 115 on the Duolingo test.
- Complete online application. The following items are required to complete an online application. Please use the below information to prepare your application ahead of time if necessary, as applications cannot be saved and finished later.
- Personal statement: You will be required to submit a personal statement of 500–750 words describing why you want to attend the High School Honors program.
- Two recommendations: You will also be required to enter the email addresses for two people who will each submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. One recommendation should be from an academic teacher and the other recommendation should be from a counselor, advisor, or teacher who knows you well. Once you submit your online application, instructions for submitting a recommendation will be emailed automatically to your recommenders.
- Application fee: A $50 nonrefundable application fee, paid by credit card, is required at the time of submission of the online application form.
- Upload supplemental materials (you will receive an upload link via email):
- High school transcript: Be sure your full high school transcript includes your fall 2020 grades. In a quarter system, this includes first and second quarter grades.
- Standardized test scores: Due to the closing of testing centers, we have adopted for this year only a standardized test-optional policy for summer 2021 applicants. Should you choose to submit a SAT, ACT, PSAT, or Pre-ACT as part of your application, please upload an unofficial copy of the score along with your other supplemental materials (a screenshot is fine). We will not receive them if you send them through the testing agency. In order to be accepted, your full name must be visible on the score report. Note that this does not apply to English language proficiency exams, which are still required for international applicants.
- International documents: International students must upload an additional form and a copy of your passport with the application. We also require proof of English language proficiency, such as scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or an equivalent exam.
- Fax or mail financial documents (financial aid applicants only).
- Financial aid documents: If applying for financial aid, relevant supplemental materials must be faxed or sent by post (fax preferred). Do not email or upload these materials. For more information, please visit our Tuition, Aid, & Payment page. The deadline to apply for financial aid is April 16, 2021. Please note that international students are not eligible for financial aid.
Applications are only reviewed after all of the materials listed above are received.
Note: Email is the primary form of communication during the admissions process. Please be aware that parents are copied on all correspondence from our office. Therefore, you should ensure that both parent and student email addresses are entered correctly on the application, and inform our office immediately if there is a change in either email address.
Boston University Summer Term
High School Honors Program
755 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 105
Boston, MA 02215
If you are applying for financial aid, applications are not considered complete until financial aid documents have been received. Admission decisions are made without regard to financial aid requests.
The final application deadline for domestic applicants to the High School Honors program is May 28, 2021 (April 16, 2021, for financial aid applicants and international students). All supplemental materials and recommendation letters must also be received by this date. We encourage you to apply early, as courses may fill up.
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis and only applications with all of the required materials are reviewed. We will email you once we have received your completed application. We begin reviewing applications at the beginning of January. Please allow three weeks after we have received your completed application for a decision to be made and emailed to you.
If you have any additional questions or comments, please contact us.