Our department and beyond have several student-run groups that can help you connect with your peers and learn more about the mathematics community.
- AMS Graduate Student Chapter: The American Mathematical Society (AMS) sponsored chapter creates new opportunities for graduate students in our department to interact with the mathematical community. Multiple events are organized to help with the interaction both academically and professionally.
- Graduate Student Organization (GSO): The GSO is the official representative body of the graduate students in the Arts and Sciences at Boston University.
- GWISE: Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (GWISE) at BU strives to create a community to support and promote women in science, technology, engineering, and math fields. Through professional development seminars and workshops, social events, mentoring, and outreach, GWISE fosters interaction across disciplines at Boston University and connects graduate students to postdocs, faculty, and broader networks in Boston and beyond. GWISE is open to all who support its cause.
- SIAM Student Chapter: The Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics sponsored student chapter promotes research within applied mathematics and the computational sciences, as well as connections between the two communities. Events are organized to promote connection academically, professionally and socially.
- Student Chapter of the ASA: The American Statistical Association-sponsored student chapter promotes statistical practice and research to unify students across the University with an interest in statistics and to provide networking opportunities in both industry and academia.
- SUBgroups: SUBgroups are small online peer groups of first-year math grad students that connect students with experiences and identities in common. They have regularly-scheduled video chat sessions to support and connect with first-years in other programs, and offer chances to share successes and struggles, to lift up others, and to bridge into new math experiences.
- Underrepresented Graduate Students Organization (BU UGSO): Organization supporting graduate students from underrepresented groups. See also their Survival Guide.