Requesting a new immigration document to return to Boston University

Please contact your ISSO advisor two to three months before the semester you wish to resume studies at Boston University in order to determine if your require a new I-20 or DS-2019 to return from a leave of absence or a suspension.

Before a new I-20 or DS-2019 can be issued, you must follow these steps:

  1. Verify with your ISSO advisor that you are eligible to return to your academic program. This information should appear automatically in the University computer if you have been on an official leave of absence.If you have been on suspension, you must contact your Boston University school or college and submit a petition to return to the University. Once approved, have your department send a copy of the approval letter to your ISSO advisor.
  2. Prepare financial documents to show that you have sufficient financial sponsorship to cover expenses for tuition, fees and cost-of-living for at least one academic year (9 months), unless you need less time to complete your program.Your ISSO advisor will determine the type of funding you are permitted to provide, depending on your situation and the conditions of your exchange program. In any case, all financial documents must be originals, signed and dated, written in English, and currency amounts listed in U.S. dollars.
  3. Email your financial documentation to the attention of your ISSO advisor and request a new immigration document.
  4. ISSO will send you your new document via email to your email address.
  5. You will need to pay a new SEVIS fee based on your new SEVIS ID number.

Next steps if you are currently in the U.S.

Your ISSO advisor will counsel you further on the following:

  1. Transferring your student status back to Boston University if you are in F-1 or J-1 student status at another U.S. school
  2. Changing to student status if you are presently in a different nonimmigrant in the US status
  3. Reinstating to student status if you have otherwise failed to maintain lawful status.

Next steps if you are currently outside the U.S.

You will need to make sure you have a valid passport and F-1 or J-1 student visa. See information about applying for a visa and entering the US in student status.

Unless you are Canadian, you must possess a valid student visa, and your passport should be valid at least 6 months from the date you intend to reenter the U.S.

Upon your reentry to the U.S., USCIS will review your new immigration documents and your SEVIS record. You must complete new student check-in report to the ISSO immediately after you return to the US.

Please contact your ISSO advisor should you have any questions.