On-Campus Student Employment

As an international student in F-1 and J-1 immigration status, you are authorized to work on the Boston University campus during your program of study. If you hold another immigration category, you may be eligible to work if you have U.S. employment authorization. See a quick guide to each step for international students.

All international students must follow a few key steps before starting an on-campus job:

  1. Find a job on campus or with a qualified institutional affiliate.
  2. Register for a full course of study.
  3. Know the conditions of your work permission.
  4. Obtain ISSO work authorization, if required.
  5. Complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification.
  6. Apply for a Social Security Number, if you don’t have one.
  7. Understand the U.S. tax system and research tax treaty benefits available to you.